Misc: Charging Systems Regulator for MZF-12A dynamo

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The problem is without a schematic of your particular regulator, there's no way short of opening up and unpotting it to know for certain. Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Paul Coene

VOC Member
The manufacturer of the regulator ? The only information on that device is what can be seen on the photo of post #1. No make. I just ordered a DVR2 from DynamoRegulators Ltd. The comments (on internet again) are very good and the price is reasonable, so I'll find out soon enough. Fortunately, I have a magneto on the Rapide, so I can still ride it (now that "recreational" motorcycle riding is allowed in Belgium again.). Without lights though.

john998

VOC Member
Hello, The chinamo is a rather crude device but robust. Had problems with 2 of mine last year, information will still be on this forum. Have tried both the DVR2 and the AO services units they both over charge. Ended up using a cheap imitation Lucas 12 volt tractor regulator off ebay, this gave the best control.
If you go with one of the electronic regulators they come with good instructions for the internal wiring. The electro mechanical regulator is wired as per Lucas. You dynamo may have different electrical characteristics to mine and be OK with an electronic regulator..
John.

Paul Coene

VOC Member
Hello John,
That's very interesting information. Unfortunately, not positive for the DVR2...

Using the search-function, I just found your previous posts (I didn't find them earlier) so I'm reading those now.

Last edited:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have used a DVR2 on my Rapide with a Lucas dynamo for the last 10 years and not had a problem. When I initially fitted it I measured around 13.5V across the fully charged battery with my cheap multimeter when the bike was running and that is approximately what a 12v lead acid battery requires. When the battery is fully charged the ammeter usually balances at zero or just above so the battery isn't overcharging. So it works OK on my setup and it has been fit and forget.

Simon

Comet Rider

VOC Member
The manufacturer of the regulator ? The only information on that device is what can be seen on the photo of post #1. No make. I just ordered a DVR2 from DynamoRegulators Ltd. The comments (on internet again) are very good and the price is reasonable, so I'll find out soon enough. Fortunately, I have a magneto on the Rapide, so I can still ride it (now that "recreational" motorcycle riding is allowed in Belgium again.). Without lights though.
Your old regulator was built by Sean Hawker of CMES fame who stopped trading some 5 years or so ago.
I have run his regulators on everything from 36W lucas units to Chinamo's without any problems. Not to say that you are having problems at the moment. I wish you luck in getting to the problem, and would it be possible would have been willing to help you more directly.

Best of luck
Neil

Paul Coene

VOC Member
Thanks for your comments. I'll be back as soon as I've got the new regulator, but I wonder how long it will take ( brexit/ corona,...) to get it.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
@ mercurycrest and Marcus: I found some information on internet:
When I connected both terminals W and AW together to the +terminal, and the -terminal to the earth, the dynamo was running fine.
Next, I mounted the dynamo to the engine again and measured the tension between A+AW and earth (battery disconnected) at "fast" tickover: 7 to 10 V. Is this test good enough to decide that the dynamo is ok and that the regulator must be faulty ? Is there an easy way to test the regulator ?
(Sorry, I don't know much about electronic equipment)
The attachment describes how to test an electronic voltage regulator.

Martyn

Attachments

• DVR2-user-test.pdf
    574.8 KB · Views: 26

Paul Coene

VOC Member
The DVR2 regulator was sent on Thursday and arrived in the mail the next Tuesday. Not bad at all. After installation, the reading of the ammeter is about twice as high as what I ever saw when the Sean Hawker one still worked. So far so good. On the road again !
Here's a little snapshot from this morning.

Kasteel van Ooidonk.jpg