C: Clutch Refreshing Vincent Twin Clutch seals and pieces

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I received my new C14 from VOC . Very excitedly I unpackaged and selected one from the package, screwed a 406 in to the threads and found that it would not go all the way in , kinda close , but shy a couple threads.
I got out another and found the same thing, not able to fully thread..........and if you tried to force further the threads on the 406 were damaged and would not extract well at all.

craig

VOC Member
So I got out my C27 plate and wanted to see if full thread was not required.
To my disappointment, C27 would hold tight not even close.

I have not had time to check much further, however one new C14 will not allow even half of a 406 to thread in.

craig

VOC Member
I checked another new C14 (#4 out of the package) and find that it does indeed fully accept a 406 screw.
And it will hold C27 "clutch spring ring" tight as needed.

greg brillus

VOC Member
As mentioned before, the screws don't actually need to be that long, it's only so you can start them against the springs/outer ring plate. This is not normally too difficult to do even when the screws are cut a bit shorter. Once you start to reassemble the outer parts you will wish the screws were only about 3 threads long, as the procedure for setting up the outer plate so it runs with minimal wobble can be somewhat "time consuming". I gave up swapping springs around in favor of placing shim washers in the right spot to minimize this problem. But there are actually many hidden things that can cause this, and some of them are not that obvious.

timetraveller

VOC Member
The needle roller thrust race conversion should stop the outer plate lifting skewed unless there is something seriously wrong. At £68 from the Spares Company and about half of that from me it is not a too expensive, or complicated, job. I always make sure that that the central screw of each group of three is long enough to get the threads started pulling the outer plate down and after that they outer pair of each group of three can be shorter.

highbury731

VOC Member
I am using 406 screws which are 1" long. It really makes a difference having the longer screws to help get them started. Would it be possible to deepen the threads in the C14 studs?
Paul

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
The needle roller thrust race conversion should stop the outer plate lifting skewed unless there is something seriously wrong. At £68 from the Spares Company and about half of that from me it is not a too expensive, or complicated, job. I always make sure that that the central screw of each group of three is long enough to get the threads started pulling the outer plate down and after that they outer pair of each group of three can be shorter.
Have you done a needle roller thrust conversion for a Burman box? I know there is such a beast available as a RE part but it has a big lump in the centre of its bearing face, making it unsuitable. And if you grind the lump the whole thing falls apart.