Red Rapides.

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In the latest edition of Classic Bike (June 2009) there is the following "..Vincent produced red Rapides for the Chinese market (hence the colour name), but no red Shadows." This is attributed to Michael Farwell of Whitley Bay. I am hoping this was tongue in cheek & doesn't end up becoming lore.:confused: I was under the impression the colour was Post Office Red by another name & the aim was to increase US market share. As they were sold in a lot of Indian franchises & Indians were generally red, I thought this was a sensible explanation. I think I also heard that a lot of the cancelled Argentinean order were (re-)painted red & shipped to the USA. All those out there with the facts (just the facts) please enlighten me.:confused:

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Red Vincents

I'm no historian but I have a feeling that the paint colour of the red machines was called Chinese red and that they were destined for the American market. It is probable that the colour was the nearest to the red paint that Phil Vincent's Bristol car was finished in.
Phil Primmer aka ET43

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
I recall reading reference to Chinese red machines for the US market in various books. Cant imagine the Chinese market being even considered in the 1950's !!

royfox

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Red Vincents

Phil Vincent liked the colour red and used it extensively in his catalogues.
From memory (not too reliable these days! so I stand to be corrected), 22 Chinese red Vincents were exported to Canada and the USA. There were also exported to North America a couple of Vincents finished in blue.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Actually it wasn't a "journo" it was Mick the Vin

Typical tosspot journo's. "beleive nothing you hear, and only half of what you read"

It so happens that the bike belongs to Mick the Vin and very beautiful it is too. I would imagine the photo and the narrative were supplied to the magazine. It just might be an error in translation. I'd be surprised if it was written by a "journo" though.

It's a stunning bike though, engine by Bob Dunn (spot the pushrod tubes) and colour scheme chosen by Mick.

Cheers

Albervin

VOC Member
Phil Vincent liked the colour red and used it extensively in his catalogues.
From memory (not too reliable these days! so I stand to be corrected), 22 Chinese red Vincents were exported to Canada and the USA. There were also exported to North America a couple of Vincents finished in blue.
Having been to the International in Canada & seen photos of many of the American bikes, I would say that at least 30 of the original 22 have survived....:p

royfox

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Red Vincents

Several standard Vincents were resprayed in red but I've no idea of the actual number.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Red Rapide

'It is claimed that 23 of the twelve Apostles are buried in Germany alone.'

He! He! Who's got a Red Rapide then?

peterg

Non-VOC Member
1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience -

Howdy Sir,

I have one. It's restoration and this variant's nuances can be viewed by clicking the link in my signature. They were produced in 3 batches and the closest to a Black Shadow in this configuration was a White Shadow in red. I've procured pix of this extraordinarily rare piece from the owner and will be adding them to my site in the ...some others section. A few were done with red fenders/fuel tank but the rest of the cycle parts black, I know of one now in a museum in Iowa that was in this configuration but is now all red. Additionally, as you'll see at my site, they sometimes came with white seat covers.

Mine's an early 50 vin numbered transitional model with a 12/50 dispatch date and was acquired in original paint under a light dusting of black applied by the dealer when new in order to get it sold in his tradition-bound market place. Pigmentation instability results in the few preserved originals having a slightly pinkish tint if they've been exposed to sun/weather for any length of time. I had lots of reference points on mine and as this machine was doddered around town gently and color scanners like flat surfaces I took my sample off of the perfectly preserved inside of the front brake backing plate (left the original paint on this surface during resto) and it cross references over exactly to pre-89 Porsche Guards Red.

Though not to some people's tastes, they have a dramatic presence in any classic bike gathering and this bright monochromatic color scheme serves to highlight the unique engineering/quality of a Vin....and this one’s perfect blingy compliment to my more dour and purposeful looking 50 Shadow.