Red Rapide RC8530

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm wondering if anyone knows the whereabouts of a Red Rapide RC8530. It was featured in a motorcycle magazine many years back and at that time it resided in Florida. It may now be in the Carolinas. Any info appreciated.

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
I'm wondering if anyone knows the whereabouts of a Red Rapide RC8530. It was featured in a motorcycle magazine many years back and at that time it resided in Florida. It may now be in the Carolinas. Any info appreciated.

I saw part of it on the IOM in 1999, but won't comment further as I feel the 'Member only' part of the Forum is the only place anything to do with numbers should even be mentioned. Better still why not ask Simon Dinsdale the Registrar?

Vince Farrell

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I saw part of it on the IOM in 1999, but won't comment further as I feel the 'Member only' part of the Forum is the only place anything to do with numbers should even be mentioned. Better still why not ask Simon Dinsdale the Registrar?

Vince Farrell

He has already asked me, but the bike in question was last reported in 2013 and the then owner is no longer a member and all attempts to contact him have failed.

Simon

Cyborg

VOC Member

Vince Farrell

Point taken. My apologies. I actually never noticed that section was for members only, so thanks for mentioning that. I could write some self defecating humour to explain my inability to comprehend proper social behaviour, but folks generally never share my view of whats funny.

johnnyb

New Forum User
VOC Member
Hi, I think it features regularly in the VOC magazine. It was the front cover photo in Classic Bike and inspired me to acquire a Red Rapide.

Robin Clement

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The bike is still owned by me, Robin Clement. I am no longer a member as I had a stroke in 2012., suffered severe brain damage and temporarily left the planet. Recovering now but have significent side effects. Bike is in North Carolina and hope to be able to ride it next year, rejoin the club.

The numbers are wrong (as was graciously pointed out to me by a number of members at the rallies in 1999? and 2005? when I brought the bike to England. Did the Parade lapon the IOMon two occasions. Rode 26,000 miles around Europe in 2012 until I got sick.

Coincidentally, was contacted recently by a member who has my original correct RFM and UFM and crancase and documentation that was a red touring Rapide shipped to Canada. Questions or comments I can re reached at rclem33606@gmail.com. I hope to acquire the parts and restore it to original.

Apologise for spelling errors

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Hi Robin
Sorry to hear of your health issues. I seem to remember you being deep into that Rapide somewhere in Europe (Maybe IOM) back in the day.
All the best for the future.

Robert

A_HRD

VOC Member
Ha! Robin was frequently "deep into his Rapide". Often just to confirm that all was well. In August 2007, he chose to start one of his epic European tours by spending a few days with me in order to fettle the Rapide and use my workshop and spares supply. Here he is checking out the primary drive.... (his assistant having fallen asleep against the front tyre)...

Then we went for a shakedown ride in the Cotswold Hills and stopped for lunch at my favourite viewpoint. Yes, that's the River Severn in the background...

Happy Days! We're so pleased, Robin, that you're feeling well enough now to contemplate getting back aboard the Red Rap. That is the best news for ages.

Best Wishes,

Peter and Mandy

A_HRD

VOC Member
Damn! I spent an hour and a half putting photos of Robin and his Red Rapide on my response above. I even downloaded some software to reduce their size. Then when I pressed "Post Reply" they were all (4) stripped out! Oh well!

Peter B

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Damn! I spent an hour and a half putting photos of Robin and his Red Rapide on my response above. I even downloaded some software to reduce their size. Then when I pressed "Post Reply" they were all (4) stripped out! Oh well!

Peter B
Did you reduce the picture dimensions e.g. 1632 x 1224, 800 x 600 etc or the file size? The upload limit is usually decided by the size in bytes of the file or files. e.g. 966Kb, 1.2 Mb, etc. If you included enough small files that could take you over the limit. If you are over the file size limit it is likely they will not upload.