Red and black on wheel rims

Ducvelo

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The colours on my Shadow wheel rims are very faded. Anyone knows which is the right colour to touch up the red, and should the black be matt or gloss. Also, any paint types that work well. I'm not after brand-new looks and am happy if it has slight look of age, but at the moment the colours are near invisible.

Colin B

Forum User
VOC Member
1 shot sign writing enamel is by far the best, 1 Shot Lettering Enamels have outstanding opacity, durability and fade resistance superior flow characteristics assure the virtual absence of brush marks and provide a clean, sharp edge. Black is easy to match but the red is more difficult.
Humbrol model enamel is a good second choice, is cheap and the red No. 19 is spot on.

Colin B

Forum User
VOC Member
Yes, both colours were gloss and probably had a finish of clear varnish or lacquer. This is harder to apply around the spoke nipples on a built up rim and as you are not after the brand-new look I would’nt bother, adhesion of the paint to the rim is more important than protecting it as very little comes into contact with it.