Recommended Engine rebuilders

S

steve w.

I've just pulled the head & cylinder on my Comet & found a bit of bad news. First, there may be a crack around the spark plug boss, so I bought a replacement head, but then on the piston & cylinder I found considerable scoring. I pulled the oil filter & in the filter compartment found small flakes of brass/bronze material.

I haven't had the bike very long & there is no record of the last major overhaul of the engine, so I have no clue as to what was done & when. With that I've decided to send the engine to a good reliable rebuilder either in the UK or Europe.

Who can you recommend that's good & trustworthy?

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you've already pulled the various bits off you obviously know which size spanner to hit it with.
While I wouldn't like to suggest that any of the advertising rebuilders are worse or less honest than any other I will point out that they all take an immensely long time.
If you hope to ride in the next couple of years you would be better off buying the parts and doing the assembly work yourself, or getting it done locally. Even doing it yourself, you may need to find a local trustworthy machinist and I'd expect that any German VOC member would help out. The standard advice is always to join the club as many of the other members have great expertise.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
We don't all take "an immensely long time". The quicker we can turn a job round, the quicker we get paid! But, agreed, there are knowledgable German members who could assist. Joining the Club must be the first step.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Sorry Len,

I think of you more as I rider and I have never heard anyone complain about your work or the length of time you take. Perhaps Steve should check your adverts!

Cheers,

S

steve w.

Thanks for your comments. I don't know why it says I'm not a member, when I am, since last August. I've asked in Germany for an experienced Vincent repairman & am still waiting to hear from someone. Ther is one guy in Munich that specializes in Brit bikes & he did a fantastic job on my Triumph T-Bird, but he has very little experience on Vins, so I'm hesitant to use him. It seems with the Vincent, there's so much tribal knowledge around that's not written, that I'm afraid something could be missed. I have all the books & he speaks English well, but I'm concerned about paying for someone elses learniing experience.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I would buy an oversize piston & a set of rings..get the cylinder bored and put it all back together after an inspection inside the timing chest...if you don't see anything obviously horrid then bolt it all back together and do frequent oil changes - and examine the oil carefully each time. I lost 2 alloy idlers in a row, fitted a steel one about 20 years ago, did an oil change every 200 miles that summer - everything has been ok ever since. There is nothing magical inside a Vincent engine, they do of course have their unique requirements, but its not magic.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes DIY is the best way to go
You wont find a better club to find advice or (perhaps even more importantly a better set of books covering the subject)
I waited once for an engine job for my racer and as the season starts in March getting the engine in June after a year with the builder meant that those first meetings points were never recovered-however well it went.
Since then all 3 of my machines are done by myself -subcontract components if you have to but stay in charge.

b'knighted

VOC Member
The only variation I might make to Bob's recommendation, and the reason for needing a good machinist, is to fit a thickwall liner, having the muff squared up then overbored to suit. I've also found the modern low expansion piston to be an improvement over the specialloid.

Much has been posted on this forum about how to set up the muff for machining.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Ian is 100% right...I fitted a low expansion piston - made a world of difference..and his advice regarding the muff & liner is spot on!...Before you start get your hands on every "Vincent bible" there is..and read the appropriate chapters carefully..