Intercoms Recommendation please - simple rider to passenger intercom system for multiple bikes

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Evening All,

I'm delighted that my daughter is enjoying coming out on the back of my bikes, agead just 8. (Thanks again to Tracey for the clothing and boots).

We did our longest ride together today, to Handcross and back via Newlands Corner for the Pioneer Run.

I'd like to get us a helmet to helmet intercom, rider to passenger that we can use in our flip front Caberg Helmets.

It needs to be fully portable, as we are lucky enough to ride on more than the one bike.

I'd be pleased to have recommendations of what to look at, what to consider - I'm sure that someone has come across this need before.

I don't need the full enchilada yet, not sat nav, don't want to connect my telephone as I enjoy the peace and quiet and it can't take it's power off the bike I guess to allow us to use more than one bike.

Regards;-)

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Hi Stuart,
I would recomend the Scala G4 system, which uses bluetooth to conect the 2 units, and can have the option of use at a later date with GPS etc.

Not the cheapest, but probably the easiest option without wires for what you want.

HTH
Neil

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Stuart,
I can tell you what NOT to buy. Chatterbox. Irene and I have two and are not very happy their performances. The squelch is hard to adjust and mostly the thing/things end up being on all the time with lots of static. they both "lag" when you try to talk, so by the time the thing comes on, you're already done speaking. Avoid buying a Chatterbox.:mad:
Cheers, John

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Stuart,
their used to be a set up that utilised the old Gosport tube Idea which to say the least was cheap and chearfull, but worked. How ever if you want some thing better have look at the Starcom range. Roger and I have been using their starcom1 advance set up for about three years and have found them to to be very good, Roger in paticular has found it to be great with Kay on the back. They are not the cheapest ones arround, but we have found them to work very, and the unit is small ennough to go in your pocket/bum bag/ tank bag.
cheers , stumpy lord
P.s. dick sherwin has one. we have found that all though the suplied head sets are very good, the best results where gained by using in the ear made to measure speakers, an advantage of that is you dont need ear plugs some thing to think about when taking young peaple on the back of noisy vincents.

Last edited:

Alan J

VOC Member
I'm pleased with my "autocom" system-no fiddly controls -voice activated. The only down side is that the 9volt batteries do not last long! [do not buy the Oxford system-enough said!] AlanJ.

Tracey Tilley

VOC Member
We use the Autocom. It is expensive but easily expanded to use GPS, phone etc.

We have a power lead on each bike or you can use small batteries. But they don't last very long.

We tried the Backchat plastic tube idea years ago.Rubbish.

Last edited:

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Hi Tracey,

Which Autocom system do you use - I was looking at the new wireless system they now offer?

Cheers

We use the Autocom. It is expensive but easily expanded to use GPS, phone etc.

We have a power lead on each bike or you can use small batteries. But they don't last very long.

We tried the Backchat plastic tube idea years ago.Rubbish.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Hi Alan,

Which Autocom system do you use, I was asking Tracey the same question - I was looking at the new wireless system that they have on their website - there is one bike dealership offering it for £100 less than the Autocom special offer site - so at £380 for a twin set it looks to be getting more "cost effective".

Regards

I'm pleased with my "autocom" system-no fiddly controls -voice activated. The only down side is that the 9volt batteries do not last long! [do not buy the Oxford system-enough said!] AlanJ.

Tracey Tilley

VOC Member
Ours is the Pro-Rider. We originally used it bike to bike but now just rider to pillion.

I'll have a look at the website.

G

Graham Smith

I bought a StarCom on the recommendation of Glyn and Marion Baxter.

Works fine for Joshua and I and the unit is pretty small, so I can can put it in my jacket pocket if I'm not using my tank bag.

I've not bothered 'hard wiring' it onto the bike, as like you, I want to be able to use it on other machines.

Give me a shout if you'd like any further information.