Recommendation for a quality chain and somewhere to get it from please?

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
To be fair Stuart, that last line is a bit of a "catch all" - re-lubrication is limited on a motorcycle.

H

Ooops, sorry I edited rather than posted a reply, will move it to a reply now. Stuart

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Howard,

Yep, you are absolutely right, if someone had shown me that specification when I was paying over £100 for the chain (nearly twice as much money as IWIS nickel heavy duty) - I would not have been able to give them my money fast enough............not!!!!!!!!!

I think you are stretching (no pun intended) the concept of fairness personally.

I do feel more than a little "conned" it has to be said. But each to their own, you live and learn and I know where I will take my motorcycle pounds next time.

If it was suitable for the final drive of a motorcycle, then it's more than likely it would have said so I am sure. But, you are right, it does not actually say "this chain is not suitable for the final drive of a motorcycle" just as the technical department of IWIS would neither recommend nor confirm not suitable, so - my fault I suppose.

Would have been nice to have had the debate with Sprockets Unlimited though. I tried that route first before posting here.

Cheers

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
I too bought a Megalife chain from Sprockets Unlimited and it lasted 3000 miles. I rang SU and spoke to the nice lady. She expressed regret at the short life and sent me FOC a Nano chain which seems OK. I will check the mileage so far but it has needed very little adjustment.

John Cone

VOC Member
I know of one or two people that have had the same expirience when they bought Renolds chains from a chain & bearing suplier. Its not the same quality as the real thing.

Howard

VOC Member
I know of one or two people that have had the same expirience when they bought Renolds chains from a chain & bearing suplier. Its not the same quality as the real thing.

John

That used to be one of my nightmares. People would ask for Renolds chain thinking it was bike chain. Being a motorcyclist, if I saw 5/8" roller chain ordered it set off warning bells and I'd ask if it was for a bike. But sometimes cunning folks would order it through their company's engineering stores who would actually deny it was for a bike, for obvious reasons. Renold is good chain, but they make lots of types, for lots of applications.

I can only stress what I started with on this thread. IMHO if it don't say motorcycle on the box, don't fit it on a motorcycle.

H