Recognise This?

G

Graham Smith

Does anyone recognise what this could be off?

Attachments

• bike and parts 018.JPG
    bike and parts 018.JPG
    851.5 KB · Views: 257
Last edited by a moderator:

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Before my time. I don't know if it's a clue, but the only engine I've ever owned or worked on with a single central bolt in the rocker cover was a Royal Enfield - leaked when loose, split when tight.

I recognise the patio table, if that helps.:D

H

Howard

VOC Member
BMW's also have that , but this isn't BMW. The angled ports are puzzling.

I know what you mean about the ports, not really motorcycle configuration, unless it's a strange vee twin maybe. Is it definitely motorcycle, and not a 2cv, front engine threewheeler (Morganish) or something of that ilk?

H

G

Graham Smith

Thanks for this.

A guy from Ireland was clearing out his father's shed, and came across this cylinder head.

As his father used to own a Comet many years ago, he though it could be worth millions of pounds (having come off something that originated in Stevenage!).

When he sent me the photo, I told him that it wasn't off a Vincent, but that I would post the photo here on our forum to see if anyone recognised it.

I'm sure he's going to be incredibly disappointed to learn that he can't retire early!

Such is life!

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Cylinder head

Believe it or not the value of 2CVs is rising. Wonderful devices. I had five of them in succession. The last one I had built for me after production ceased. If he hangs on to it for another fifty years it might be worth a fortune.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
I love 2CV's :) Almost bought one brand new just before the Levallois factory in Paris was closed. They are a wonderful thing with a deep ethos behind them.

Peter Stokes

VOC Member
2cv

The 2CV engine - very tough. An oil cooler and an oilway up the conrods for small end/piston lubrication and cooling. Surely one of few vehicles which is going to be run at full throttle for any length of time.

There was no synchromesh on first gear. You became good at double declutching from second to first, a once much known skill I suspect.

A trouble was that the chassis came with a corrosion guarantee - it was guaranteed to corrode.