Rebuilds...

Richard Lobb

Forum User
VOC Member
I am restoring several basket cases to a Shadow.

The lifting Handle FT22AS has the old Rubber coated Wire all gummed up inside.

Any suggestions as how to clear it to run new Wire ? I have tried all the usual methods.

I have thought of using a Oxy / Actelene heating head to burn the rubber, but that seems a bit drastic.

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Do you have any facility near you that does acid dipping of car bodies for restoration? I've had a couple of car bodies, and motorcycle frames and parts stripped this way for restoration and they only thing that comes out of the bath is steel and braze, everything else is a memory. You just have to make sure that you completely flush the acid afterwards is will make a total mess otherwise.
Steven

davidd

VOC Member
Richard,

Just a note on re-fitting the new wiring. I have found that the holes in the lifting handles get smaller with age. Rust, corrosion and paint lead to a much smaller diameter hole. I have a new old stock Miller wiring harness that I check things against and I found that the original diameter of the insulation is usually larger than the existing hole, particularly after painting. I have made it a practice to enlarge the hole prior to fitting the wiring. Check to make sure there is clearance for the wire you are substituting and leave a little extra clearance for paint.

David

Richard Lobb

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi David,

Many thanks for that. It triggered a memory of that problem VERY many years ago before I emigrated ( early 70's)

Regards
Richard

Richard Lobb

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi David,

No, I lived in Central London and then Edgware ( N.W.) I was with the N.London section when it was at " The London Apprentice" in Old St. (?) then when it moved to Kentish Town. Two of the members of that time are still around. Peter Biles and Seymour Moss.

I sold a Comet I had to Peter, which he and his daughter campained in various Race events.

Regards
Richard

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
The reason I asked I use to sell trucks to a Hedley Lobb, Flitwick Beds. close to were the series A rally is a the end of June this Year.