rebuilding ATDs

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I believe the Spares Co has taken over for the late Roy Price. I highly recommend a Roy Price ATD. If there is enough interest expressed, maybe the Spares Co can prioritize sorting out renewed production of them.

Comet

VOC Member
Thank you,Neil. I have one on the Comet but it is already borrowed. Mine seems to be fine until it is fitted and tightened up, then something is pinching and the mechanism does not release correctly. So I was wondering if there is anywhere I can get it rebuilt/overhauled.
I do appreciate the offer though, cheers.

John

D

Deleted member 1085

Looking at 2 A/R units, one returns positively to the stop and the other doesn't. Swapped the springs over and it is just the same. Looks like shorter springs are needed as the location of the spring ends appears further apart on one than the other. Is this a known issue or am I just lucky?

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
The small springs found on our ATD devices must be firm enough and of the length necessary to fully return it to the retard position and still show a tug on the peg , not hang loosely . This ensures it stays in the retard position at an idle , not bounce back and forth . Gives a more Consistant idle beat and sweeter low end running . These springs can be changed with the unit still fitted on the motor if you are clever . Any wish to know the trick ? Sid .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Sid, I am sure many of us would like to know that trick. Also, where can one purchase fresh new springs for the job?

Martyn G

The small springs found on our ATD devices must be firm enough and of the length necessary to fully return it to the retard position and still show a tug on the peg , not hang loosely . This ensures it stays in the retard position at an idle , not bounce back and forth . Gives a more Consistant idle beat and sweeter low end running . These springs can be changed with the unit still fitted on the motor if you are clever . Any wish to know the trick ? Sid .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk