Rear Stand.

Mark Fraser

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The one i have seen has laser cut plate pivot ends. i have no idea if this was suppled by the Spares Company. It was heavier, and of welded construction and the weld beads were not complete n all cases. Ken

Ken,
Sounds like the one I have. It has laser cut pivot ends. The weld beads are complete in my case but the I have cut the lug that FT115 AS passes through to hold the stand up and moved it 3/16" to the right.
My advice would be to buy the stand from Bob unpainted and without the lug welded on and fit the stand to the bike then weld the lug on in the correct place.

Mark.

Mark Fraser

Non-VOC Member
Hi Mark

The answer is one of Dave Hills centre stands.....just let the rear stand be. I fitted a stainless centre stand about a year ago and now dismounting holds no fear !!!! Highly recommended

The stand is on it's way. Are they easy enough to fit? Any mods required to make them fit that you know of?

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
I've not done it but...

Mark, I've not done one but have heard it can be less than an hours work (if anything really can be).

Dave Hills is a super bloke though - any problems encountered and I would imagine you could give him a call for advice.

There'll be loads of folks on here that have done the job and can set you right.

Cheers

Stuart

PS - Did 450 miles yesterday - new needle and jets did the trick - bike ran a dream.

The stand is on it's way. Are they easy enough to fit? Any mods required to make them fit that you know of?

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hi Folks. I think the talk of fitting a DH centre stand in one hour (or less!) is counterproductive. Most people will not fit this type of stand in less than about half a day and will feel let down or inadequate when they fail to break the one hour figure. What took me longest was progressively cutting back the stop which works when the stand is in use to ensure that the bike is far enough up in the air for the back wheel not to touch but not so high that it can risk rolling forwards on a slope and falling over. Taking too much off at once can make the bike too low and so in my case I had the stand on and off at least six times until I had it at what I considered to be the best height. This is one of the best mods on a Vincent and transforms the ease with which the bike can be lifted on to its stand BUT be aware you are likely to take much more than one hour to fit it. :)

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I encountered a couple of problems fitting my DH centre stand and therefore took ages. The right hand footrest plate would not fit over the swinging-arm pivot and the front mounting stud under the gearbox due to a dimensional discrepancy between the holes. Whether it was the plate or my machine I do not know.

Any way I decided to elongate one of the holes on the plate until it fitted. I then found the legs were not long enough to lift the rear wheel the requisite distance from the ground even though the stop had not been relieved. I know Dave Hills would have sorted this problem for me but I preferred to do what I could myself. I made new steel feet and welded them on and still they were not long enough. I did not want to weld on another set of steel feet as I was getting concerned about the final appearance. So I drilled and tapped my new steel feet and attached dural feet with 1/4" BSF countersunk stainless steel screws. This actually looks quite pleasing and eliminates the problem of paint being removed from the feet of the stand. They will though probably wear quicker than steel but will be simple to replace.

Another modification I did was drilling and tapping the pivot tube and fitting 1/4" BSF stainless steel grease nipples making it a simple task to keep the stand lubricated.

The final modification I did was to weld an L shaped bracket to the stand stop with a hole drilled through it and the corresponding left hand footrest plate so that the stand can be padlocked in the down position.

I think the stand is brilliant and worth the expense (and in my case a bit of hassle) for its ease of use.

timetraveller

VOC Member
An alternative way of locking the stand down is, once the correct height has been set, to drill through the left hand plate and through a part of the stand which is behind it. Then one can use one of those modern locks which are intended to go through the holes in a disc brake. This type of lock takes up a small amount of space in ones tool box or a pocket and is more or less out of sight when in use. :)

Mark Fraser

Non-VOC Member
An alternative way of locking the stand down is, once the correct height has been set, to drill through the left hand plate and through a part of the stand which is behind it. Then one can use one of those modern locks which are intended to go through the holes in a disc brake. This type of lock takes up a small amount of space in ones tool box or a pocket and is more or less out of sight when in use. :)

Great idea, I'll take that one onboard as I have a spare disc lock anyway.

Mark Fraser

Non-VOC Member
Hi Folks. I think the talk of fitting a DH centre stand in one hour (or less!) is counterproductive. Most people will not fit this type of stand in less than about half a day and will feel let down or inadequate when they fail to break the one hour figure. What took me longest was progressively cutting back the stop which works when the stand is in use to ensure that the bike is far enough up in the air for the back wheel not to touch but not so high that it can risk rolling forwards on a slope and falling over. Taking too much off at once can make the bike too low and so in my case I had the stand on and off at least six times until I had it at what I considered to be the best height. This is one of the best mods on a Vincent and transforms the ease with which the bike can be lifted on to its stand BUT be aware you are likely to take much more than one hour to fit it. :)

It took me about 30 mins to fit the stand and about 3 hours to modify!
The side plates went on fine but the two holes for the exhaust clamp did not line up with the clamp. Welded up the holes, ground flush and redrilled. I have filed very little from the stop and the rear wheel sits around 1" from the ground. The only other point is that the bolt used in the stop is not long enough but being an M8 thread is was just a direct replacement from the dreaded B+Q. Didn't have to slacken off the exhaust and all in all a very good fit. :)

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
DH stand

My DH stand really did go on in an hour, and everything lined up perfectly. Just lucky, I guess. However I took the actual stand off again about a month later and cut back the stop plate to get it a bit further over centre. It had felt as though it would roll off with a puff of wind from behind. I must have been lucky, because I got that right first time, and the whole job took about an hour again.
I've just bought a Neal Videan propstand, to complete the set, and it is marvellous. It took even less time to fit.

It took me about 30 mins to fit the stand and about 3 hours to modify!
The side plates went on fine but the two holes for the exhaust clamp did not line up with the clamp. Welded up the holes, ground flush and redrilled. I have filed very little from the stop and the rear wheel sits around 1" from the ground. The only other point is that the bolt used in the stop is not long enough but being an M8 thread is was just a direct replacement from the dreaded B+Q. Didn't have to slacken off the exhaust and all in all a very good fit. :)

Mark Fraser

Non-VOC Member
Tom,
I guess you must have a twin? I presume the propstand fit's through the 'Front stand pivot'?
Initially I tried a Spares Company exhaust and that didn't fit and now I have an Armours front pipe. My head had the exhaust thread 'reclaimed' so it was going to be a lottery to make something fit. It was in the back of my mind when the DH stand arrived but never the less job done now and the parts are away to be painted.

Mark.