Rear Stand

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This reminded me that some pull their bikes up on the rear stand from the side and some from the rear. Would a poll be in order?

Not to hijack my own thread, but I just noticed that it has a left hand throttle. Probably a few other interesting features.

MarcusBodenloaded.jpg

indianken

Non-VOC Member
MarcusBodenloaded.jpg

Bod,

Correct on the heated grips!

Another interesting thing, (but I think is overkill), are the headlights.
Left one for driving in the "Empire" and the other for the continent.
One left dip, the other right dip. Could run on left, right, or both! {ALTON TEST!!}

I had to do the wiring while Marcus tried hard to look like he was
working on other parts of the bike. Nearly had to go strip some
electrical switching solenoids from his wife's car. Finished up 3am
and then we had a dead run to the Irish ferry. Good lighting helped here.

Ken Smith

Bruce, I think that is a heated grip and not a left hand throttle.

Bod

indianken

Non-VOC Member
stand

Bruce,

I seldom use it but when I do put down my rear stand I snug up the
steering damper to keep the front wheel straight and then go around
to the rear and, using the lifting handle with both hands, I hold the stand
firmly with my left foot and pull up and back till the stand is over center.

To me, it feel more secure and puts less of a strain on me.

Ken Smith

(CLIP)
This reminded me that some pull their bikes up on the rear stand from the side and some from the rear. Would a poll be in order?

b'knighted

VOC Member
Cantilever rear stand

Marcus used to take this bike with him wherever the banana boats took him. The front frame of the rear stand is a standard item with what looks like a second stand brazed or welded behind it, braced by fore & aft tubes. The main stand then has a plate attached for welding to the deck. It would then need an angle grinder to cut it free after landfall, When the stand is up the back bar is between the panniers and above the number plate. When the stand is dropped to the ground this bar is horizontal and downward pressure will cantilever the bike into the position illustrated. Marcus tells me that when fully loaded he can stay on the bike while Christine deploys the stand, easily lifting him and the bike into the parked position.

Cheers,

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Marcus used to take this bike with him wherever the banana boats took him. The front frame of the rear stand is a standard item with what looks like a second stand brazed or welded behind it, braced by fore & aft tubes. The main stand then has a plate attached for welding to the deck. It would then need an angle grinder to cut it free after landfall, When the stand is up the back bar is between the panniers and above the number plate. When the stand is dropped to the ground this bar is horizontal and downward pressure will cantilever the bike into the position illustrated. Marcus tells me that when fully loaded he can stay on the bike while Christine deploys the stand, easily lifting him and the bike into the parked position.

Cheers,

Reminds me of how the late Scotty Seegers of the Washington, DC Section would load his bike in the van. He would hold the handlebars with the front wheel in the van and his girlfriend would lift the back end of the shortish ramp to keep the cranckcase from scraping the van floor and then he would push the bike all the way in. She had some leverage working for her, but I didn't volunteer to try it.