Rear stand

Alan J

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Rear stands are a hernia inducing abomination! My ajs and morini stands allow you to remove either wheel as they are well balanced!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
If I am not feeling strong Or doing it up high on a bench, I roll the back tyre on to a bit of wood,
Needs less of a lift.

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
On many bikes when the stand goes over centre it moves back quite a bit. As I work as a part time classic bike mechanic for a well known dealer I have several scars on my legs where a silencer has bitten me. I hate rear stands and agree PEI and PCV should have known better by 1945.

vibrac

VOC Member
I like to compare Douglas with Vincent both were the product of a firms wartime fresh design both were fast off the blocks with radical rear suspension at a time ( late 40s) when BSA and the rest of industry were quite happy to produce minimum conservative pre war units.
Douglas had a center stand, it is an absolute killer about as ergonomically correct as a cast iron tennis racket, but it was a first attempt. Center stands were something that was a new idea, and honestly when Vincent's selling point (often glossed over now in a era of nail free modern tyres) was getting your wheel out without tools, how else are you lifting the back wheel and supporting a mudguard that has to be hinging to give a clear path for the wheel?
The ease of rear wheel removal was a big selling point. A rear stand was no disincentive. Time changes what is important

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
To anybody who has NOT fitted a Dave Hills Stand,
If you get the length of the legs " Just Right ", They are easy to use, Having the little leg you stand on,
To swing it back.
I have made "D" type Stands for mine, But without the lift leg, Not as easy, But I like my Prop Stand next to it,
On Alloy plates.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
One thing that annoyed me when I bought the Comet was how tricky it was to lock the rear stand. Compared to my WD16H which has a spring pulling it up.

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
One thing that annoyed me when I bought the Comet was how tricky it was to lock the rear stand. Compared to my WD16H which has a spring pulling it up.
Aren’t you supposed to adjustment tightness on the Thackeray washers so the stand will stay up in position while you do up the T bar Same as the Thackeray washers at hinge holding up guard flap

vibrac

VOC Member
Re 16H Rear stand
My 52 Trophy has a rear stand like that, wonderful until you hit a real bump then... clang, clang, clang! most annoying and yes it is a new spring. tighten the bolts or increase spring pressure (the end spring hole is big) and then the right foot backwards cant move it. On the Vincent the thackeray washers and lock nuts are there to set it how you want it. My rear stand is secured by a knurled circular knob with an embeded reflector so the stand is tight, I have a Hills stand for normal use. I have just been out on the first shake down run on the Comet (Oh the bliss of the lecy start! ). I needed to adjust the front brake and the rear chain thats when the rear stand is an absolute boon.