Rear stand

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Near bike is Ron Peers B with a Dave Molly designed accessory installed, and the next one over is once again the Woolly Mammoth with a 3 in extension to the standard side stand and a much larger footplate and a small arm with a ball and that curves out so that you can hook it out with your boot. That worked well for many years and many miles and very rarely felt precarious, but now has a Honda VFR sidestand fitted to the rear foot peg plate which is even more useful. I have changed a front tire on the road with the front sidestands but one has to have some help lifting the front end that much higher!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I carry a bar with a short bend at the end, Poke it in the hole on the rear frame, Near the axle,
Between the exhaust and frame, Put a tie round the front brake,
And with the prop stand down, Just lift up from under the seat,
And the bar fall straight down !!,
I think they use them on trials bikes.

vibrac

VOC Member
They said the rear threaded holes were for a sprung sidecar but some of us have heard that PCV employed a medium who fortold paddock stands that needed somwhere for their bobbins

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
R
20200518_092943.jpg
20200518_092953.jpg

LoneStar

VOC Member
Michael Breeding supplies side stand castings that are extra-long. You determine the length needed for a sensible bike angle, trim off the end accordingly and braze on the end foot. In most situations, this makes the rear stand unnecessary.

erik

VOC Member
Especially on a comet where where the propstands are linked closer to the middle of the motorcycle longer propstands are a must.The picture showing the breeding prop stands.Erik

timetraveller

VOC Member
I'm guessing that this is one of the problems with a multi-functions device. Make the prop stands longer and the bike is more stable when lent over but then what is it like when those same stands are to be used to lift the front wheel off the ground?

erik

VOC Member
This is true Norman ! But what is more often, parking the bike or rising the frontwheel.And at home in the garage I have a hydraulic lift to dismount the frontwheel.When did you had your last front wheel puncture?Mine is many many years ago.Regards Erik