Rear stand

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Re 16H Rear stand
My 52 Trophy has a rear stand like that, wonderful until you hit a real bump then... clang, clang, clang! most annoying and yes it is a new spring. tighten the bolts or increase spring pressure (the end spring hole is big) and then the right foot backwards cant move it. On the Vincent the thackeray washers and lock nuts are there to set it how you want it. My rear stand is secured by a knurled circular knob with an embeded reflector so the stand is tight, I have a Hills stand for normal use. I have just been out on the first shake down run on the Comet (Oh the bliss of the lecy start! ). I needed to adjust the front brake and the rear chain thats when the rear stand is an absolute boon.
The best, and easiest to use, rear stand I have ever had was the one fitted to my 350 Panther Stroud. In fact it was better than most centre stands. It was a roll-on stand that held the bike securely in the down position and though easy enough to roll-off it was not inclined to do so of its own accord. I believe a similar stand was used on the rigid slopers. I have often wished Mr. Vincent had considered this for his own machines.

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
The best, and easiest to use, rear stand I have ever had was the one fitted to my 350 Panther Stroud. In fact it was better than most centre stands. It was a roll-on stand that held the bike securely in the down position and though easy enough to roll-off it was not inclined to do so of its own accord. I believe a similar stand was used on the rigid slopers. I have often wished Mr. Vincent had considered this for his own machines.
You're right about the Stroud and the rigid slopers but the centre stands on the later slopers are absolutely awful, worse than a Vin rear stand.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The Clubman got lugs on the frame for the silencer box below, there I fixed small L-brackets for the center stand, no welding to the frame. The propstand is there as well but not used a lot because we are used to center stands on most of our bikes and the critical curved shoes do an esay roll-on action so no question. The Clubman fell over on grass once on the propstand and got a sad dent in that brilliant tank so I think this was the second I decided to do a working center stand like on the 1935 Guzzi with its very wide and almost perfect stand that can be parked on any grass place safely. I kept about 2 " straight faces on the feet parallel to ground before the curve starts so as to get good load spread on soft ground. The feet are basically a T-profile welded up from 3mm stainless sheet by rough arc welding with rods, so not much bracing is needed. For finding the shape you´d try a cardboard pattern on a sketch after you know how much lift you want from the stand for a free back wheel. Then you see where the stand/foot contacts ground at first point when lowering it when wheels on ground. Now you do a few steps on the sketch with half inch or 1 cm more lift of frame each step while rolling back the bike on the feet. This is how to arrive at the curved foot shape in a smooth lifting motion, no awkward brutal lift as on poor designs.
The Clubman stand is indeed a bit on the very light side , bigger tubes better. But some bracing was allright to clear a few parts, looks a bit "special" but is OK. Some more photos below to clarify the welding on the main tubing between feet, hope it shows. We always kickstart bikes on center stands, certainly the high comp 600 cc four valve Horex SS 64, no troubles so far.

Vic
View attachment 34904View attachment 34905
The great advantage of the Dave Hill's stand, above all others is that it is available, advertised every month in MPH, you purchase it, fit it, and forget it, it simply works, as long as you provide to Dave the correct relevant information, go to any Vincent rally, owners are popping their bikes on and off their stands easily and without much effort, and I don't see to many bikes on their sides where the feet have dug themselves into the ground, don't park on soft ground and the bike will be very stable.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I like stands with long curved feet as they roll onto them easy and I suspect what Vic has used on his other bikes are very easy to use. Somebody redesigned the Velocette stand to something similar looking and that transforms their centrstand on Velo singles. The problem is I don't think such a stand would fit on a Vincent as there is no room for an extended curved stand foot to fit around / between the RFM lower tubes and rear passenger footrest plates when the stand is up. There is barely room to fit the standard width nut on the bolt that holds the rear passenger footrest bracket onto the plate.

Simon

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
It does not need much of a lead in on the foot of the stand, Maybe an inch, And when it's tucked away
That bit is pointing down !,
If the ground is not good , I find it better to use a prop stand, I carry a 3" square of fibreglass sheet,
To pop under the foot.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I copied this from Neil "Breeze Knees" Donovan to put under my propstand (painted chunk of wood):

Propstand block 1.jpg

Propstand block 2.jpg

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Faffing around with bits of plastic, wood or fibreglass are all things to retrieve when leaving, astride the bike ready to go, either you ask someone to pick it up for you or struggle to do it your self, leaning down that far whilst astride the bike is difficult or getting off using the stand on the soft surface with bike leaning against yourself, safe enough, but tis all hassle, just have a 3" diameter fixed pad and a long side stand that could rest onto a freshly baked cow pad and not sink as far less pressure is being applied. All a question of mechanics and first principles. When stowed it reaches back behind the wheel spindle.
bananaman.

p.png

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
Who was it had a piece of string on the end of his prop stand leg wood block?