H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Rear Sprocket

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Never seen the nuts on the outside of a sprocket on one of these bikes before.........
When I built the bike I used the MO drawings to figure out where bits went. The MO1 sheet I used shows the sprocket nuts on the outside, seems to have worked out OK for over 50,000 miles so far. ;)
I've put a snip of the MO1 below;
mo1_snip.png

timetraveller

VOC Member
Yes, my MO1 from 1954 is the same but you cannot do that with Shadow drums. In my 'D' Spares Book' from Jan 1961 MO1 has been replaced with MO 106 which seems to show the same problem alongside a drawing of a Prince ribbed drum. Oh Dear! Is it too late to ask for my money back?

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes, my MO1 from 1954 is the same but you cannot do that with Shadow drums. In my 'D' Spares Book' from Jan 1961 MO1 has been replaced with MO 106 which seems to show the same problem alongside a drawing of a Prince ribbed drum. Oh Dear! Is it too late to ask for my money back?
I had two rear wheels and steel brake drums in the pile of bits so the steel drums went on the back wheel and I never knew that the bolts had to go in from the outside if you used Shadow finned drums. I bought a front wheel off the then Series "A" man, Bob Stafford (Lovely man, much missed.) complete with Shadow drums and the spare rear wheel went to the current Series "A" man.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Whilst doing the NZ 2018 solo tour after their annual rally north island I went on a very rough detour before Christchurch nearly running out of fuel being in low gear so long and sprocket came loose, Russel Byfield came to the rescue and gave me a bed to sleep in and transport running me about getting drum built up (steel pressed type) re-machining to hold sprocket central, Allan bolts inserted from the inside of hub spring steel washers loctite and nylock nuts and they only have two to three mm clearance of the torque arms, problem with "A" steel drums is the radius from the flange making.
bananaman.

Last edited:

highbury731

VOC Member
By 'rough detour before Christchurch' are you meaning a detour to get round the Kaikoura earthquake?

Lots of roads got a bit messed up....

Paul

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
It was only about twenty miles after Blenheim as I stopped at Ward or thereabouts as no fuel stations and at a coach, services got hold of a gardener and bought fuel off him. Then onto Kaikoura and fill right up and just leaving town passed a Police car parked and as I passed turned his blue lights on, so stopped left the bike ticking over while we talked and told him that they had been fitted for 15 years and had been all over Europe and never been pulled over, he took photos of me & bikes my WOF and tax sticker and never heard anything more, probably muttering about bloody limey's though.
All that east coast was lots of road works going on, but Russel Byfield took an inland route to Christchurch as we had left their Annual Rally (north island) together as he rode Old Harry ("A" Rap) to Wellington and we swapped back transport and I stayed with Andy Rackstraw (shadow clockmaker) Russel catching the ferry. I followed two dys later.
Bananaman.

Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Going back to my original post, I was fitting a new rear tyre the other day in preparation for a full on riding season (hopefully). In doing so, and doing the obligatory clean, and re-grease of wheel bearings, I noticed on the clean rear sprocket "TALON 46", jackpot I thought, now I have all the information that I need to purchase a nice new sprocket, sadly it is not quite as easy as that, they apparently have no records of ever having manufactured them and suggest that I send them a drawing or sample.
How frustrating, I feel sure that one of our larger suppliers must have had a batch made, albeit a few years ago, I did give Ann Guy a call, but Ann doubts that it was Conways when Chas had the business, so I think that just leaves Colin or Ron, does that jog anyones memory, Talon say they need a part number to search their system.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
I’ll repeat what I said in post 2 - B &C express will make you a sprocket, they need the bore diameter of the central hole, the pcd of the boltholes and size and number of bolt holes. Mine 46 teeth 520 chain size in alloy (dural?) for a Grimeca hub was £51 including post.
www.BandCEpress.co.uk

Last edited:

Robert Watson

VOC Member
As I have said before, the alloy ones I have used (Sprocket Specialties (USA)) go very well for 10K miles. At 10K + 20 miles most of the teeth are shredded all over the rear rim!

I have had three sizes of 520 sprockets made in a steel alloy and nitride hardened. They will last a very long time but that comes at a pretty hefty price.