H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Rear Sprocket

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have been thinking about making such a guard for the lower chain run, for my Rapide. Plastic might be a good idea, because the lower run tends to flap about.
My BSA Super Rocket had a chain guard with an inner face which covered the entire gap between wheel and gearbox. That made a huge difference to chain life and maintenance. I also fitted a pipe from oil tank breather to the rear sprocket, and I hardly ever needed to oil the chain.
Also, I had a Suzuki GS450 for a while, and bought a Peter Furlong full chain-case. It made a huge difference to chain life - maybe treble the previous.
Paul

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
BSA offered these as an option on the A10 Super Rocket and possibly earlier A10s.
My 63 SR has it and it is excellent. There is no chain oiler, just a slight weep from the trans that works it's way onto the chain. A standard chain and sprockets fully housed and lubricated with gear oil lwill last a long, long time.
It seems good enough to be a Vincent idea.
I believe some Ariels had this feature as well.
With the BSA, when removing the wheel, the chaincase, chain and rear sprocket all stay put, the wheel drops away.
The rear wheel and tire stay very clean.
Makes you wonder why that system wasn't adopted as standard in the motorcycle industry. Perhaps cost. The tin work is quite involved to allow for pivoting of the swing arm and sliding the sprocket for chain adjustment.

Glen

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Just to bring some Christmas humor to this post........ I refer to Eddy's earlier post/pics number 22, How has Eddy managed to get his "Nuts on the outside"........???
Hi Greg,
Not sure which nuts you mean on the outside. Whichever they are they have been on the outside since I built the bike from bits 15 or so years ago.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
The rear chain guard is quite good on my Vincent Rapide but a little project I had in mind for quite a while was to devise a small guard to protect the bottom run of the chain. An Ariel Square Four I bought in 1969 had a small guard for the bottom chain run that thought was a good idea.
Quite a few modern bikes have plastic chain guards, they are light and don’t need painting. I had an offcut of black plastic drainpipe in the shed so I thought I would experiment with that. I cut off a short piece and warmed it with a hot air gun and then gradually squashed it in the vice between two lengths of wood to see how easily it would form. The first photograph shows how it turned out. Next, I cut a piece of pipe and slotted it lengthwise. I warmed it and when it became pliable I flattened it out. I found a piece of wood of a thickness the same as I wanted for the inside width of the guard and rounded one edge and then used this as a former to bend the hot plastic over to give me a “U” shaped piece. I cut this to the length required and used a piece of thin stainless steel sheet to attach it to torque arm of the right-hand rear brake. The other two photographs taken from the left and right-hand sides, show the guard fitted.
View attachment 39183

View attachment 39184
View attachment 39185
best idea ever, only seen on a Bruff before