H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Rear Sprocket

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
......... For me the complete answer is the latest offering from Scottoiler, fully electronic and programmable, I set mine to the maximum amount of flow before contamination starts to be evidenced on the rear wheel and tyre, just a few spots mind, then just back it of a little until it runs clean, perfect. .....
I run a Scottoiler on all my bikes, Rapide, CBR 1000F Honda, Ducati ST4S, Yamaha Tracer MT07. I use whatever oil I have handy, probably what is left in the new can after an oil change. My units are old style, non-electronic and I adjust them in a similar fashion to Peter. I usually get well over 10,000 +miles from a chain with little or no mainteance other than topping up the resevoir and the occasional chain adjustment, almost fit and forget. The sprockets kast well also. If you have more than one bike you can have the minimalist plastic tubing left in place on each bike and easily move the resevoir from one bike to another.

vibrac

VOC Member
I thought a new type of chain had just been announced that was a long life maintenance free design much better than even o ring jobs?
I may have seen it in a dealer mag I get
but since I lost control of chain sizes about the same time as tire nomenclature I have no idea what sizes they are being produced in :mad: Jeeze I have enough time trying to find a link clip that fits! from computer plugs to headlamp sizes why are there no industry wide standards anymore?
(said IKB gazing at railway lines:rolleyes:)

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
I thought a new type of chain had just been announced that was a long life maintenance free design much better than even o ring jobs?
I may have seen it in a dealer mag I get
but since I lost control of chain sizes about the same time as tire nomenclature I have no idea what sizes they are being produced in :mad: Jeeze I have enough time trying to find a link clip that fits! from computer plugs to headlamp sizes why are there no industry wide standards anymore?
(said IKB gazing at railway lines:rolleyes:)
BMW now offer a "diamond coated" chain as an option for S1000 models and standard on the new M1000.
Eternal life assured!!! About £500 wow.
Cheers Bill

vibrac

VOC Member
Actually I think it was this innovation
they are like most funded devlopment firms a bunch of young brainwashed green acolytes but while dreaming about their push bikes they may have something, of course motorcycles would not enter their heads, but chain manufacturers are more hard headed so one can hope

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
I'm a bit out of touch Peter but I believe it only needs washing when dirty, no lubrication at all.
It sounds too good to be true doesn't it?
Cheers Bill

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
With a common sealed x ring chain on there and some of Robert's hardened sprockets one can do 20,000 miles, easy, with very little adjusting. When the chain finally starts needing adjustment it's time to throw it away as the seals have now gone, that's why measureable wear started.
Or, as described on a Sportbike forum " I see what you mean Dude. Those little black rubber things are sticking out like an old man's nose hairs!"

You can do this mileage with just a bit of chain wax spray every few hundred miles.
The wax tends to stay on so the rear wheel stays quite clean , not forever grimy as when a chain is flinging oil everywhere.
This long life, low maintenance setup leaves us with spare time to trim nose hairs.
There's a sales slogan in there somewhere!

Glen

Last edited: