H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Rear Sprocket

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A good few years ago I purchased a standard chain width aluminium rear sprocket (or more likely Duralumin) which proved to excellent in all respects, I am fairly certain that I purchased this sprocket from Conway Motors, either from Chas or Colin, does anyone know of a current supplier of these, I think someone did mention the Chain and Sprocket guy that used to do the big events like Kempton Park etc. but sadly he is no longer with us.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
I’ve ordered one for my Egli from B&C express. Not for a Vincent hub but they’ll do any size you want.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Vibrac uses alloy sprockets. I've thought about it but have too many steel one hanging up all nicely zinc plated.
bananaman.

vibrac

VOC Member
People making sprockets are not too hard to find 5/8X1/4 are cheaper and 5/8X1/4 gearbox sprockets can be found at spares co.
Main reason for turning an adaptor and filling workshop with swarf was so I could us MX sprockets down below what is possible on a standard drum and that combined with a 22 gearbox pumps the ratio back up to around 3.5 overall and give you a graduated variable for circuits ( NB there are two ratios if you fit one of Bob newbys belt drives see threads on here for details on belt ratios)

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
A good few years ago I purchased a standard chain width aluminium rear sprocket (or more likely Duralumin) which proved to excellent in all respects, I am fairly certain that I purchased this sprocket from Conway Motors, either from Chas or Colin, does anyone know of a current supplier of these, I think someone did mention the Chain and Sprocket guy that used to do the big events like Kempton Park etc. but sadly he is no longer with us.
HI,
sprockets are still in business run by his partner.
phone number 01386 83134 astroprox@email.msn.com

Robert Watson

VOC Member
My experience with Alloy rear sprockets is that they run 10,000 miles. At 10, 001 miles they like to shred all over the rear rim!

If you run serious hi miles I do have in stock nitride hardened steel rear sprockets for 5 20 chain and also still re ring the front sprockets (if the hub is good) with a case hardened ring. There are some of these running well over 20,000 miles. Coupled with a decent O ring chain it makes maintenance back there required at much longer distances.

Non of this is inexpensive but when you get tired of changing out chain and sprockets it is an alternative.

I know also being on the west coast of Canada ups the cost of delivery.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I think the obvious answer for longevity of the chain and sprockets is lubrication, but not any old lubrication, the standard built in oiler is not overly successful due to the unavoidable changes in viscosity, the boiling of the chain in Linklife in a no longer needed kitchen appliance deep fat frier has been consigned to history, the aerosol cans of various types might save the chain running bone dry I suppose, but that is about the only good thing I could say about them. For me the complete answer is the latest offering from Scottoiler, fully electronic and programmable, I set mine to the maximum amount of flow before contamination starts to be evidenced on the rear wheel and tyre, just a few spots mind, then just back it of a little until it runs clean, perfect. The Yamaha TR1 (which for me is a modernish copy of a Vincent, Series E maybe) has the best solution for a chain driven bike, a fully enclosed rear chain running in a molybdenum disulphide oil, good for 100,000 miles apparently, I do own one, but have not managed to do 100,000 miles, always to busy riding the Vincent.

Last edited:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Carl Hungness already tried, with mixed results, to fit a "maintenance-free" belt drive, such as on my 100 hp Buell XB12S. (I call it a poor man's Egli.)

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I am not a great fan of rear drive belts, I was out riding with my cousin a few years back, he was riding his 1340 Harley Dynarod something, a stone from the road got trapped between the rear sprocket and the belt, punched hole through the belt and it had to be replaced, pretty expensive job, and quite a lot of stripping down and rebuilding to fit it.