Rear Spring Box Removal

youngjohn

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Has anyone got any good tips or advice for removing the rear springs/boxes or maybe compressing the springs a little? Mine seem to be under some tension even when the shock absorber is at maximum length and fully extended and won't budge when trying to pull with my hands. Thanks.

Albervin

VOC Member
If using a standard rear stand you need to jack up the crankcases a bit. Place a piece of wood across the cases & gently jack up to take the tension off the springs, take it slowly. You should then be able to
remove the spring boxes. If you have a centre stand then place a piece of wood under the rear wheel so it takes the load when removing the spring boxes. Problems can arise if you have longer spring boxes than the damper so they are still under tension when the damper has reached full extension; this appears to be your case. I guess a strong pair of G clamps may be an answer or even a home made bracket made from flat steel could work. I am sure someone who has "been there done that" will come to the rescue.

davidd

VOC Member
The damper is the limiter for the suspension and if there is still spring pressure at full extension then you need to follow Albervin's advice. I have two small (12"?) adjustable carpenter clamps that I use in this situation. I take all four nuts off the front and rear bolts. I put tape on the clamp that is on the outer spring box to protect the paint and I only turn the clamp handles sufficiently to get the spring boxes the same length as the damper and then I remove the boxes while they are still clamped off the bolts and release them slowly. Reverse to install. The clamps are not that expensive and they are quite handy for other projects.

David

john998

VOC Member
Hello,
Silly question do you have Thornton rear suspension units? if so you will have to make up
a spring compressor. Angle iron and stud iron did the job for me. John.

davidd

VOC Member
Yes, I have stock suspension, Thornton suspension and I also manufactured my own springs which I currently use for the Girdraulics. I made a clamp to hold the rear boxes, but ultimately, I found the carpenter clamps easier to use. About a decade ago I made a coil over unit for my rear suspension using a Thornton damper (which Thornton now sells) and I use that. I had problems with the inner spring boxes wearing through the outer spring boxes and creating stiction points. I also had a spring box "cock" as a result of the stiction. That is why I moved away from spring boxes.

David