Rear Number Plate Stickers

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I thought we are only allowed Proper plates and have to take our log books with us to get them made ?,
Or is that only when you get an age related number ?, In UK.
Bill I have never done anything with black and white numbers than stick them on that includes age related recovered and refurbished I did see that sometimes they give me some sort of 'get a number slip' but thats still in the file

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I know it's not liked, But I go with modern reflected ones, Might be a life saver ?.
Got one some years ago, 2 letters and 4 numbers, It was HUGE, Took 10 mph off top speed :D ,
Had to trim it a bit.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
What do our "back to factory spec" members think? My guess 1st choice is sign writing and second is stick on numbers I suppose arguably a blank number plate would be correct :rolleyes: as they left the factory numberless my investigations after original numbers for my rebuilt bikes in Oxford Archives shows big firm A went in on Monday and big firm B went in on Wed etc so it was the dealers who added numbers. I cant really remember many pressed plates back in the day never underestimate what a lucrative trade sign writing was back in the fifties
Yes your right as probably over 95% of Vincents left the factory with blank plates. Very few bikes were registered by the factory and most of those were pre 1940.
I think the pressed alloy plates may be a '60's thing and so most bikes in the 50's and earlier would probably be either stick on characters or more likely done by the local signwriter.

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
Both mine and ex-brothers Comets have pressed alloy plates with makers stamp HILLS in a rectangular border one of them has has both curved front plates. Mine was sold by Conways and the other was registered in Halifax.
Remember the front 'bacon slicer' plate is illegal in the UK.

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
Both mine and ex-brothers Comets have pressed alloy plates with makers stamp HILLS in a rectangular border one of them has has both curved front plates. Mine was sold by Conways and the other was registered in Halifax.
Remember the front 'bacon slicer' plate is illegal in the UK.
they are legal it that I am not sure of the date but about August 1975 you could ride a bike without a front number plate it became none requirement item. I still ride two bikes with the old bacon slicers on but the main i took it off the speed camera thing?

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
they are legal it that I am not sure of the date but about August 1975 you could ride a bike without a front number plate it became none requirement item. I still ride two bikes with the old bacon slicers on but the main i took it off the speed camera thing?
bike i ride

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
We are both partly right and partly wrong.
I though the regulation was retrospective, it wasn't. Just no longer a requirement for bikes registered from '75. But registered from 2001 they are illegal.
From DVLA site.
"Motorcycles and motor tricycles registered on or after 1 September 2001 must only display a number plate at the rear of the vehicle.
If you ride a motorbike or motor tricycle registered before 1 September 2001 you can also display a number plate at the front, but you don’t have to."

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
We are both partly right and partly wrong.
I though the regulation was retrospective, it wasn't. Just no longer a requirement for bikes registered from '75. But registered from 2001 they are illegal.
From DVLA site.
"Motorcycles and motor tricycles registered on or after 1 September 2001 must only display a number plate at the rear of the vehicle.
If you ride a motorbike or motor tricycle registered before 1 September 2001 you can also display a number plate at the front, but you don’t have to."
I was bit unsure any way thank you

vibrac

VOC Member
I believe the front numberplate legislation came out very quickly after a politicians family member got hurt on a zebra crossing as they say Its not what you know....
we have average speed cameras in many villages round here on Motorcycles they only work traveling one way and of course it you turn off half way through......