Rear Number Plate Stickers

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I always get a set of numbers off the internet (not necessarily in the correct order) and stick them on in the correct order I am not making up a number plate if I buy one thats a PR27 and comes blank I just add numbers to it then I lacquer it in time honored manner if I was a good detail painter I would paint the numbers on. I dont belive in those actions I am breaking the law which applied to post 1st Jan 1973 vehicles. I note recently that there is a bit of additional legislative tom foolery which has been added stating that it needs to be an historic vehicle but I cant see many people with pre 73 modified vehicles changing their plates can you? and I think thats a descriptive 'chancer' by a .gov script writer and has not been enacted in law which because of the rolling nature must still say 1 Jan 1973

b'knighted

VOC Member
I believe that the current UK rule or law about authorised dealer with BS number (just what does BS stand for?) and makers name needing to be printed int the plate only applies to post 2003 vehicles.
I have cheated with one of my Comet plates and cut the numbers and letters from a white reflective self adhesive vinyl. They just look like a normal white letter, slightly antique as they were hand cut, and only reflect in the dark. For most of the time they look entirely legal and I can't see any official complaining that they are too visible in the dark.
In the sixties every bike shop had a rack of legal numbers and letters. If you can’t find them now every school technology department will have a cnc vinyl cutter and a stock of self adhesive vinyl.

vibrac

VOC Member
BS = Brithish Standard
(Que short burst of Elgar)
seven white stick on numbers on ebay are under £2, job done

b'knighted

VOC Member
BS = Brithish Standard
(Que short burst of Elgar)
seven white stick on numbers on ebay are under £2, job done
A short burst of Ray Elgar?
I think in this context BS stands for something else entirely.
I couldn’t find them on eBay yesterday.

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
IMHO the best transfer type numbers are those sold by the VMCC. They look similar to sign written number/letters and I don't suppose the VMCC would sell them if they were illegal.

Gordon Ryley

VOC Member
Hi Should I be sat on the naughty stool in the corner .I have always made my various
numbers out of Al alloy to the approved size I use to rivet them to a approved size plate
or in later yrs loctited them to the plate.In the 1950s I even cut out the No,s and letters
in the plate with a polished plate behind mask and paint to suit idle hands little money.
to much time and access to Al Alloy as an apprentice if you were told to get lost for an
hour you did go and make steel m/c parts in Al Alloy get the weight down more speed.