Rear hub D-type

dagriise@online.no

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
As im building an Egli vincent from scratch, and want to use as many vincent parts as possible, i have started to assemble a new vincent rear hub, and have read that the D-type hub is cable operated with brakes on one side only, which sounds ideal.
Question: How is the opposite side from the brake/sprocket finished of, on a D-type? (assume it only takes one brake drum) -anyone got a close up of the arrangement?

Regards Dag

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Dag, Go to the Home Page of this site,click on imformation, then technical, then drawings-"D" then scroll down to MO106. At top right you will see the arrangement for "D" rear hub. Hpoe that helps, Len.:)

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
Web site.

Len, I take it that you are talking about the VOC website and not this forum?
If in doubt ring me up and buy the book off me:D

dagriise@online.no

Non-VOC Member
Thanks alot Len! That was all i was looking for! And it even looks well suitable! (guess i should have included the "D type" spares book in my literature order..)

Regards Dag

b'knighted

VOC Member
Hi Dag,
Although the parts drawing shows two parts H64, H65 my Knight came with a one piece alloy flanged spacer.
To make one you need a bit of 3" ally bored to run clear over the end of the hub, centrally drilled to fit over the hollow spindle making a sort of cup with its bottom thick enough to duplicate the steel brake plate (H7/3s)and spacer set up (H27/1as). The floor of the bored recess must clear the end of the hub and must be smooth if the felt seal ever needs to turn against it. The outside shape is entirely up to you but mine simply has a parallel outside diameter, radiused corner to a flat ouside face. You could get by with a large washer to hold the felt seal and a spacer to fill under the nut, more like the two shown in MO 90.
Cheers Ian

dagriise@online.no

Non-VOC Member
Thanks that sounds very much like the solution i pictured, before beeing directed to the D- drawings. One other detail: Does the RH "flangebolts" (5pc) differ in length from the other side? (as there is no brakedrum?)

Regards Dag

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Thanks that sounds very much like the solution i pictured, before beeing directed to the D- drawings. One other detail: Does the RH "flangebolts" (5pc) differ in length from the other side? (as there is no brakedrum?)

Regards Dag

Hi I'm overhauling an open D Rapide and it has the original type eccentric circular headed bolts on the non drive side. They are shorter than the drive (drum side).

Mac