Misc: Everything Else Rear Damper Help

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I don't want to be a damper (pun intended) on this but although dampers with the same resistance in both compression and extension strokes were considered adequate in 1950 only a few years later it was realised that one needed more damping on the extension than the compression stroke. If one wishes to use an original-looking Vincent damper for the look then fine but note that modern dampers like the AVO do have more damping on the extension than the compression stroke and, so far as I can tell, so do any other dampers used on modern machines. Keep it original by all means if you wish but if you want better comfort and handling then use a more modern damper.

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
There is the recirculating ball valve modification that does impart some variation between compression and extension resistance, basically it is a hole up the end of the piston rod meeting a small cross hole above the piston and a ball bearing in the central drilling and a screw cap( I know I should search for it).

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have found the Standard forks with the Comet don't work as well as with the Twin,
I think because of the less weight, So I have gone with as light an oil as I could do,
ATF. Cheers Bill.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I have found the Standard forks with the Comet don't work as well as with the Twin,
I think because of the less weight, So I have gone with as light an oil as I could do,
ATF. Cheers Bill.
On a Comet you should NOT have the inner spring installed in the front spring boxes. They are only required in Twins.

M

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You have me there Martyn, I had forgot that, Should have looked in the book !,
Having had too many tank slappers, Including one that threw me over the top !,
I have been thinking too much on keeping the forks down,
As was said in an early Know thy Beast,
I think my thoughts where Side tracked ?.
Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Martyn, I always fit an Hydraulic Damper now,
Strange how you can do so many miles and ride so many years as I have ,
Then have Big trouble, The roads in UK are very bad.
Cheers Bill.