H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Rear brake water excluders

robmfj

Forum User
VOC Member
Now I'm at the stage of wheels and brakes in a restoration. The rears on my "C" had a form of excluder (how effective? I doubt it) that were on the bottom half (180 degrees) of the back plate and stepped to go over the sprockets and relevant bolt heads. I think I can just about see a version in JBs "Original Vincent Motorcycle" book on a series D. My intention is to fill the rivet holes in the back plates with BA grub screws and file to the original profile of the plate but before doing so was wondering if such excluders are available off the shelf. Many thanks. Rob.
Rear.JPG

stu spalding

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Be careful of the drive side excluders as some were made too wide for the toque stay clip to engage it's groove. Cheers, Stu.

davidd

VOC Member
That is a stock Series D water excluder. It is not available in the US at the moment, but they are something that is available as an off the shelf item.

A Series C would not have a water excluder on a wheel with a sprocket. If a sprocket was not ordered on the for the "off" side of the wheel a Series C water excluder would be installed, as far as I know. The D had only one rear brake, so they seemingly made an effort to put a water excluder on it.

David

mercurycrest

VOC Member
The part number is H51/2. I'd think one of the parts suppliers would have some. (Part # corrected. BigEd.)

John

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
I think I have only seen samples certainly there would have to be a demand before a batch was produced if someone was prepared to make a batch then they should perhaps contact Ian at the VOC spares company who could offer information and perhaps increase the batch size by an additional order. For low volume small demand this is a course of action that is taken too infrequently in my opinion. Often with series A items for instance it could well make manufacture possible in batch sizes that are economic and accurate and perhaps even profitable for the maker

Last edited:

greg brillus

VOC Member
With regards to the small volume parts especially for the series "A" machines, the cost is too high, you are lucky to recoup your costs. There are very few parts I need for this one i am rebuilding now, but to make batches of parts and sell on to others is simply not worth it. It might sound a bit negative, and i would agree, but i know from first hand experience. You need to have deep pockets to get large numbers made and then you might have them sat on the shelf for years.......... I know folk here who know all about that. The postage from here to the UK is expensive and then the Voc spares would have to pay VAT on the parts.........This is a major contributing factor............Sorry but there it is.

robmfj

Forum User
VOC Member
Robin, thank you for your offer. This afternoon, I reverted to plan A and plugged the rivet holes. I was aware that it was not original for series C but just thought if readily available I'd replace what somebody thought was a worthwhile mod over 45 years ago. They wouldn’t have been the only non original bits following the current restoration and reading other posts has prompted me to add a Grosset starter in my letter to Santa.