erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This an Egli Comet with I suppose no chain oiler and different ufm.Regards erik

Colin

VOC Member
Thanks Gentlemen.
As of now I still don't know what it is, but I do know it is NOT, a dodgy silencer, a loose mudguard, or alien "rattle" messages from outer space.
I will keep at it, or take it to my local Old Bike Repairers, who have been excellent in the past:)

A_HRD

VOC Member
Colin,

Take off the 2 tappet covers and check there's oil in the tunnels and covers. I once had a blocked oil supply to the exhaust rocker and it was running completely dry and making hell of a din!

Also, drain the sump and check there's no metal debris in the oil - if not, at least you'll sleep better...

Peter B

Colin

VOC Member
Chris. Agreed ,but I know people who know more than me on this one.
Peter. Good idea will try that one tomorrow
Tim. Not yet, awaiting my assistant mechanic (aka wife) to find time to work the throttle.

Colin

VOC Member
SORTED! My absolutely invaluable assistant mechanic became available for a consultation and a bit of throttle blipping this morning, and it is now sorted.
Problem(s) were twofold. The tank sits over the top tube/oil tank on a shaped former, and at the back sits on two thick rubbers on the rear sub frame rails. All held in place by a strap over the top pulled down at the rear by strong rubber loops. The two rubber blocks on rear sub frame rails had completely flattened over time allowing the petrol tank to move (vibrate) both up and down and slightly sideways. Two new blocks made from specially selected hard foam kneeling mat, and a bit of padding from an equally specially selected pink camping mat (If I remember correctly abandoned by Bill Easter several Internationals ago![as I previously pointed out to my assistant mechanic."It may come in useful sometime"}) and that was that
The other problem was a surfeit of tools in the fibreglass side tool box pushing out the lid and rattling around
(lots of tools "Blessed is he who expecteth the worst, for him shall I not disappoint" 1st book Pessimists Chap 1) Solved with more pink sleeping mat and a cunningly drilled hole through the lid of the box and through the inner box and then pinned in place with a long thin, headed pin

But the best bit is still to come. Went out on a testing run and really giving it some stick, and all running well ,On a long clear "A" road up. hill I rapidly came up behind 3 modern bikes, admittedly just pootling, dropped into third and shot past and changed up, giving them the benefit of a Comet on song with an absorption "silencer" Left them for dead! Several miles on round the roundabout and heading back the same way, I gave them a cheery wave, and would have loved to see their faces!
Many thanks to all who gave advice, at least it eliminated what was not the problem, and I,m glad I persevered and solved it. Bike cruised happily at 70 mph down the M20 and did briefly run up to, oooh a bit more.!
A Comet on song is a perfect cure for the Covid Lock Down blues.

Attachments

• 2013 Darcy, bikes,riders rally Eglis 027.jpg
    2013 Darcy, bikes,riders rally Eglis 027.jpg
    785.3 KB · Views: 42