Rare Books on Ebay

van drenth

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have access to top of the bill copiing machines so to reproduce "originals" is no problem. Intrested ?. Lots of things are going round on those internet sites like e bay etc.
Regards. van Drenth JC

Albervin

VOC Member
There were 2 copies of The Vincent HRD Gallery. Both were were advertised as signed, leather bound. One sold for £258 and the other for £87!! Anyone know why or just the vagaries of auctions?

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Case of who was watching and when. I missed the second copy of The Vincent HRD Story because my internet connection dropped out just as I hit the bid now button !!! Otherwise it would have gone higher !!

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Looks like there is something of an edge between van drenth and bigtwin which would be better sorted out somewhere other than on this forum

Last edited:

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
I have no feelings about this either way, except that I feel that as a generality the use of "handles" allows people to make remarks they might think twice of under their own names. But if what one wanted was to tip off club members that there was something juicy coming up on EBay - and i see no reason why not - it would avoid accusations of commerciality to put it in the club section.

Howard

VOC Member
Perhaps I'm naive, but I can't see the problem of pointing out you're selling something of interest to VOC members, nomatter where it's advertised. It would have been better if bigtwin had said he was selling the books, but I'm willing to believe that was an oversight.

I have to say, I agree with Tom about handles. Perhaps we should all have our real names in our profile, and use whatever handle we want in the Forums (or is that Fora?). It would also save confusion, I nearly called Bikersally Sally a few weeks ago. We can make an exception for Phil, he's always been ET43, I bet his mum calls him ET43 - mine calls me Maureen's husband - I've always been easily forgettable.

H

Albervin

VOC Member
I was considering adopting ET50 for my nom de plume. That is what my wife thinks I am!!! ( A large idler)
John
That is very good!! Without descending into maliciousness, maybe we could start a list of suitable "nom-de-plumes", "handles" or "(k)nicknames" for people we know? I once introduced myself to John Surtees as
a Series C Vincent; as most will know, I am Alyn Vincent and I was born in August 1953.... I have had several major rebuilds but my top end is still within tolerances....
With regards to Howard's and Tom's concerns, I would hope the moderators would view it as part of their mandate to monitor any "abuse". They have access to all the details of all forum members and are able to edit all listings. I think that, on the whole, this seems to work very well compared to other forums (fora?) I visit.