RAPIDE WANTED - by a rider

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
We have a new section member who rode a modern brit bike to our last section meet. He was not put off and is now looking for an affordable, ready to ride, twin. He is a motorcyclist with other old British bikes and tells me that his brother has a Comet.
Does anyone have anything looking for a good home?

b'knighted

VOC Member
Nearly 80 club members have read this but no-one has commented. Surely someone knows of a bike for sale? The one on the back of MPH is shown as sold on their website. Where else should we be looking?

notap

Non-VOC Member
There are a few Rapides being advertised on www.thevincent.com

These are located in various places. I don't have any connection to the site or the sellers....just trying to help. Good luck. Rob

Nearly 80 club members have read this but no-one has commented. Surely someone knows of a bike for sale? The one on the back of MPH is shown as sold on their website. Where else should we be looking?

b'knighted

VOC Member
One of these bikes is in the UK and I've passed the details on to my new section member. As it is advertised on an American site I'd assume that the seller would rather export it. There is a forum community member with the same name, marked up as a Non-VOC member but if he is the same person, he hasn't chosen to use the classifieds on this site - but that may be because he is not registered as a VOC member.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Thanks Sid,

I have tentatively suggested this bike to Kevin, but with reservations as I was an under bidder for the pile of bits which supplied the engine for it. My major reservations come from the gilded description which suggests that, apart from the UFM, these parts all started from the factory together. The description of an "ex works Upper Frame Member of the same year" suggests that it was supplied for this bike many decades ago. This was not stored as a motorcycle, but as some salvaged motorcycle parts from a crashed machine. It may have been built with original parts but they were from other motorcycles, or second hand bits as we call them.

Having groped through the pile of bits I know that a huge amount had to be sourced elsewhere. Had someone built this bike for himself and then used it, I'd have no problem with seeing it as a suitable bike for a rider to buy. Built for sale and road tested for 500 miles doesn't quite earn the description given.
It may be an excellent bike but as the description is disingenuous it raises my suspicions.

It is conveniently close so Kevin is trying to arrange to see it, perhaps test ride it but for the price I suspect the ex-Ron Vane Rap would be a better bet.