Rapide series C, valve lifter broken

Chris W

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi chaps new to the forum and new to owning a Vincent Rapide series c. So everything is a learning curve for me with Vincent but I have plenty of other classic bikes.

I have spent most of the week recommissioning the Vincent and have a few problems.

The valve lifter has been leaking oil so I decided to adjust the cable because it was very Slack and you could see the two rubbers if you pull the silver collar up.

Anyway on trying to restart the bike I pulled the valve lifter in and the end snapped off, on closer inspection I remove the cable and decided to clean the valve lifter and rubbers and noticed if I pull on the valve lifter end it doesn't decompress the engine no more.

I had an awful feeling that I adjusted it too much and it's broke something inside, so I remove the timing chest cover and had a look nothing was broken all seem to be working apart from it not decompressing, I haven't removed the timing cogs or plate as of yet as I thought I would ask for some advice on here first before I jump feet first into something, I do have the Paul Richardson book so I'm not going completely blind, but really feel a complete numby I should know better.

Any advice would help to point me in the right direction of what could have gone wrong or what is wrong and why it won't decompress no more.

I have heard that there is a kit also to stop it leaking oil from the valve lifter area is this true and can anyone point me in the right direction .

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I normally adjust mine so that there is plenty of slack, so that when the lever is pulled, the lifter mechanism inside the timing cover barely lifts the valves, just enough to lift the valves to allow compression in the combustion chambers to be lost. There are alternate seals, but I have not bothered to go that route.

There is no need to fight against the valve springs more than necessary to lose compression, and the spring inside the timing cover keeps tension on the two rubber seals.

Last edited:

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Joining the club gives you access to all areas of the forum. You will also get 10% off any parts you purchase from the Vincent Spares Company, a very useful discount. :)

vibrac

VOC Member
Look carefully in the timing cover you are looking for a small roller (or two!) that fly off at random intervals from the nose of the lifter. If you have two plug holes then IMHO a de compressor is the way to go if not make a note for the next time the head is off :cool:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
If you do dismantle the contents of the timing chest, do it in a systematic way and keep the various spacers, shims, nuts, etc. in order of removal. I have organized my spacers, etc. by inserting dowels into a piece of wood that I could stack all the pieces in order. Reshimming is a big job and should be done only after thorough reading of the manuals, as noted above by Russell. Do leave the spindle for the large idler in place.

Chris W

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Th
Look carefully in the timing cover you are looking for a small roller (or two!) that fly off at random intervals from the nose of the lifter. If you have two plug holes then IMHO a de compressor is the way to go if not make a note for the next time the head is off :cool:

Thanks I have a parts book do you know the part number for the 2 x rollers . Could do with getting so e pictures or more books so I can see the location of them.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
They are shown in MO13 where the roller is shown as a small part in the nose, but the factory regarded them as one part as levers ET69R and ET69F Indeed they did not have an AS (assembly number) so the rollers do not have a parts number in the official book. However fast running cams do not agree with that designation and frequently (to be fair),with misuse, disassemble them;)