Misc: Carburettors Rapide Series B Carburettor 276 CJ/1DO

silver47

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have a set of what I thought were standard Rapide carburettors which have been in storage since the 60's and they came as a pair, the 276 CJ/1DO 'rear' carb is listed as a front carb in the Serial Numbers/ Production list, but the throttle stop and the pilot air screws are both on correct side for the rear cylinder, can anybody shed any light on this anomaly.

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a set of what I thought were standard Rapide carburettors which have been in storage since the 60's and they came as a pair, the 276 CJ/1DO 'rear' carb is listed as a front carb in the Serial Numbers/ Production list, but the throttle stop and the pilot air screws are both on correct side for the rear cylinder, can anybody shed any light on this anomaly.

Yes carbs on the early bikes have the adjuster on the same side which made setting of the front carb difficult. The front carb was subsequently changed (different body) to move the adjuster to the opposite side to make access easier. From memory I think also the float bowls on the earlier carbs had shorter arms

cstewart

Non-VOC Member
Spot on Rob, that's exactly what's on my 49 rap. Short arm on front, long arm on rear and adjuster on front carb facing the barrel as per works record

Albervin

VOC Member
Gee, I am surprised they were still fitted in 1949. My 1948 B Rap had the new longer arm float bowl and "correct" front carb according to the build sheet.

cstewart

Non-VOC Member
March 49, the rear of the chainguard is also 'RAF'. Could it have been a c guard that has had a cut and shut to fit the b rfm? When I bought the bike I asked the previous owner what happened to the chainguard and he said it was like that when he bought it in the mid 60's. It only had one previous owner before him.