Misc: Everything Else Rapide Seat Lowering

nigsey

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Craig, I’ve taken your advice and cut down the front bracket and drilled new holes which has won me about an inch and it’s surprising the difference it’s made, in a good way. I haven’t done anything with the rear brackets and I don’t think I will. So thanks very much for that.
Altered bracket doesn’t detract from the look.

Attachments

• 6C7EB9B2-FBF9-4C3D-90EA-8144B29838D8.jpeg
    6C7EB9B2-FBF9-4C3D-90EA-8144B29838D8.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 41

craig

VOC Member
Altered bracket doesn’t detract from the look.
Looks like a nice job. I hope you find it helpful, I have trimmed many of these Feridax type seats for same reason or in some cases, just cosmetic.

Here is a seat trimmed max at rear to keep rider from sliding forward.
We put a "Mohawk" strip/lump of clay stuck to the fender to scientifically determine seat clearance.

2020SeatTailTrim1.jpg

Last edited:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have the same problem and have toyed with the idea of doing away with the tool tray and making a seat base which dips there, the problem then is you end up with your knees under your chin so to speak, especially on a twin, I have a thinner long seat now and made my own 2" longer footrest hangers which are angled a bit further forward plus I've fully sprung it and it's far more comfortable and no higher for the rider.

ray vinmad

VOC Drawings Manager
VOC Member
Nigsey, you have obviously had the spring boxes off to get the eyebolts down to minimum centre distance.
To check the mudguard clearance- with the bike on the centre stand, remove both spring boxes, lift the rear wheel until the damper stops the movement & check the gap to the seat.
If all else fails, stick a sidecar on it!!!
Happy New Year to all,
Ray

nigsey

VOC Member
I have the same problem and have toyed with the idea of doing away with the tool tray and making a seat base which dips there, the problem then is you end up with your knees under your chin so to speak, especially on a twin, I have a thinner long seat now and made my own 2" longer footrest hangers which are angled a bit further forward plus I've fully sprung it and it's far more comfortable and no higher for the rider.
Thanks Chris, I’m yet to test ride mine and try out the new modification so not sure how much help or an improvement it’ll be. It’s a difficult compromise trying to get something that makes the bike comfortable and safe to ride without detracting too much from the original design that I love but I guess the former must always take precedence.

nigsey

VOC Member
Nigsey, you have obviously had the spring boxes off to get the eyebolts down to minimum centre distance.
To check the mudguard clearance- with the bike on the centre stand, remove both spring boxes, lift the rear wheel until the damper stops the movement & check the gap to the seat.
If all else fails, stick a sidecar on it!!!
Happy New Year to all,
Ray
Many thanks Ray, I’ll give that a go, but a sidecar? Nooooooo!