Rapide Rocker Feed

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The old standard ones pushed the rocker pivot housing downwards to the bottom of the rocker tunnels.
Yes, I had to grind one of mine to get proper rocker movement. Most of the metal came off the captive nut.
Paul

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Original feed bolts were not designed to creat any downward force just to locate bush earlier mods were to split the bottom of rocker bush and drive in a wedge to expand bush in the tunnel so it would not wear.
The mod for securing the bush to the top of the tunnel came out in MPH in 1966 or 67 as I was in the machine shop in HM Dockyard went looking for high tensile steel EN100 I think it was at the time and still in there, leave the wires out as that is the majority of the lubrication the cams get as so little gets through to the cam spindles, and several cam faces are not drilled to allow this anyway.
I have a Honda p/p fitted purely for the cams which have done over 300k, still good too.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I tried the mod of splitting the base of the rocker bearing and screwing in a ? 2BA x 3/4"long grub screw. It worked well until I went sprinting and then at between 6,000 and 7,000 rpm it fell out, fortunately without going through the timing gears. This was before I heard of Loctite,or even before it was invented, but it happened every time I used high revs and never at normal touring revs. I finally gave up on the idea.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Certainly, John my handsome, look at the photos below, there is in behind the fly wheels a catchment area for the main oil p/p to scavenge from, you can either build a small dam in front of the scavenge port OR bang a tube into the port so that the oil level rises. I did the latter as can be seen in first photo. It is a blind aluminium tube with a hole up at the blind end creating a wear ({ I think mine has fallen out as last year I had done about fifty miles stopped at a friends house leaving the engine running collected a parcel returning to find the oil tank over flowing !??)} so the suction pipe for the Honda p/p has a resivoir to draw from. The pipe is clipped tightly to the crankcase wall and into the timing chest and a flexable pipe run up behind the large idler and siversoldered into the steel casing that holds a bearing to support the p/p. Discharge from p/p is lead up to the inlet camfollower spindle with with a shallow banjo and a spigoted nut so oil is fed into spindle and back out into the oil gallery. The cams must have a oil hole at the base of the opening ramp. I fit two oil light bushes at cam lobe end as one bush does not reach the outboard cam lobe. The cam spindle must have the oil holes in it to line up with the cam lobe holes. Beware as not all manufactrues do them the same. Then when fitting the spindles position the upwards equal distance between push rod tubes, the lower photo shows that these spindles were not the best made ones as only a single hole by the cam lobes but easy to modifie by grinding through the case hardening and drill through into the centre. then grind anti-clockwise from the hole so oil pressure can start flowing through the cam so it has a copious supply under the follower when it come to it.

P1050264.jpg

P1040104.jpg

top one is wrongly made, 2nd is modified ready to fit 3rd, exracted with slide hammer
after welding on a stud as the spindle end & nut fell off when removing the cover.
4th is correctly made
P1050447.jpg

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
I did some experimenting with my bike a few years ago. I wanted the maximum oil down to the cams. I drilled the oil holes in the locking feed bolts out to about 1/16" I found out that the restriction to oil flow is the clearance around the rocker pin. The only way I ended up with to much flow to the cams to the point the engine wouldn't clear the oil out of the sump was when I drilled additional holes straight through the locking feed bolts, so some of the oil could bypass the rocker pin restriction.