Rapide Price at Mathewsons auction

John Oakes

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
That is a broad brush to draw. Different countries, different auction commissions etc. Private sales are still happening way higher than those figures because the vendor and buyer are on the same page. Start adding 20% commission on the front and back of prices then you will always have hesitation.
Agree with above Plus - Auction prices for bikes that you can't ride/test or speak to the owner about should always be lower than private / retail sales IMO. Especially for a bike like a rapide or shadow which are easily available elsewhere. For me an auction bike should only fetch top money if it is so unique or rare that you can't get it anywhere else. The availability of Rapides, Shadows and Comets across the market is bountiful at the moment - so why risk paying full price for one at an auction?? They should be and are now selling at trade prices.

Chris.R

VOC Member
Perhaps not a Vincent owner, did anyone know the late Mark Kilkenny of Bordon, bike collector he died 3rd December last? His wife Flossy had predeceased him, I think he was 64. Three of his old Triumphs come up for auction at Sotherbys soon. I was told one with a £100,000 reserve. I was at the hospital for an injection for arthritis and talking to a patient who had known him.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Agree with above Plus - Auction prices for bikes that you can't ride/test or speak to the owner about should always be lower than private / retail sales IMO. Especially for a bike like a rapide or shadow which are easily available elsewhere. For me an auction bike should only fetch top money if it is so unique or rare that you can't get it anywhere else. The availability of Rapides, Shadows and Comets across the market is bountiful at the moment - so why risk paying full price for one at an auction?? They should be and are now selling at trade prices.
Changing the subject, did you see my reply to your PM John?

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
What or who is AK ?
Andrew Kenningley, appears to own a company registered at Companies House as - Vincent Motorcycles Ltd, They restore and rebuild Vincent motorcycles and perhaps also offer their own certification of authenticity, which might not always tally with the records held by the club.

Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Well if you want an honest observation, the bikes that he sells look very nice cosmetically, but I have no knowledge what they are like under the covers.