Rapide Price at Mathewsons auction

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
December 2017 Shadow £119,100 in London auction, same one sold again last year approx £60,000 2021 2 Shadows c£51000 each. We will know more after the next 2 or 3 auctions but looks like Rapide's now around £30,000 and Shadows £48000 ?
That is a broad brush to draw. Different countries, different auction commissions etc. Private sales are still happening way higher than those figures because the vendor and buyer are on the same page. Start adding 20% commission on the front and back of prices then you will always have hesitation.

Albervin

VOC Member
The bikes in my shed range from 1926 to 2013. It is about the fun, the enjoyment and also spreading the risk. Just like a share portfolio, you spread the risk. I do know people who only buy Ferraris or Astons but they are all stupidly rich.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The certificate looks dodgy Simon. Is it one of AK’s?
Yes it is one of AK's fake certificates.
I told Mathewsons that it was not a VOC one and they said they would remove the certificate from the sale details but it appears they then ignored what they said they would do.

delboy

VOC Member
Yes it is one of AK's fake certificates.
I told Mathewsons that it was not a VOC one and they said they would remove the certificate from the sale details but it appears they then ignored what they said they would do.
Hi folks,
so, is there a body overseeing auctioneers?
Surely Matthewsons should not be selling or advertising Items with fake, or at the very least misleading documents?
Delboy.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
This twin recently sold at a Calgary, Alberta Auction for $37500 CDN, about 22,000 GBP.
I don't have any details other than it is a runner.
Someone might recognize that chunk of Al. stuck to the front stand.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211003-071533.png
    Screenshot_20211003-071533.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 65

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I don't know, probably not.
Apparently it was purchased by an old fellow who intends to put it in a large display shed full of antique farm machinery and old cars.
What a waste.

Glen

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I have only a passing interest in cars, but are comparable vehicle prices dropping in that field also, Bentley, Bugatti, Jaguar etc. Lets hope so, I have always fancied a Blower Bentley before I pass on!
Hi Peter,
I have a bit more than a passing interest in cars and I can tell you that the market is strong. After initial hiccups at the beginning of the pandemic prices have been steady. In fact lesser makes and models have gained modest ground as they have been pulled along by upper market prices. What has taken a dip are projects. Buyers are interested in buying what is up and running ready to drive or show. The idea that you can buy an abandonded or partially finished project on the cheap, get it finished, and move it on for a profit is over. In the classic car world if you are doing a project you are doing it for the love of the vehicle. The cost of having it done negates you making profit. If you are doing it yourself and figure your time in, you are working for peanuts. Cars up for sale now have been around for awhile and have been cared for and sparingly used. I can only guess that people doing projects now are doing them because they want to have and use the car for an extended period of time, rather than flip it quickly.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi folks,
so, is there a body overseeing auctioneers?
Surely Matthewsons should not be selling or advertising Items with fake, or at the very least misleading documents?
Delboy.
I don't know about any overseeing body.

Most auctioneers hide under their terms and conditions saying such things like "info provided by the seller" or other such comments that basically say its up to any bidders to ensure they do their own research first so they know what they are bidding on. Basically buyer beware.

daevideo

VOC Member
Caveat Emptor has never been more knowingly applied than at auctions in the UK. This post and comments have been instructive to a neophyte such as myself.