Rapide Price at Mathewsons auction

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The Rapide in Mathewsons auction only reached £28000, Prices are falling for sure ?

kerry

VOC Member
In very very nice condition, claimed matching numbers ? history and old log books. £28000 !
Was recently on eBay but did not sell then. Just proves how prices are dropping does it not ?

kerry

VOC Member
This is a B with Bramptons too so much rarer and nicer perhaps than the Mathewsons which was a C series with girdraulics? Prices have had peaks and falls before, I paid £18000 in 1989 for a White Shadow only to have to sell in 1992 and get just £11000. 2016 was a peak again in prices according to the Graph in Tim Kingham's excellent book, At the moment 50's 60's British bikes are losing prices and losing the buyers of them due to old age of the buyers and sellers, 70's 80's Japanese are doing much better.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
I recall a pretty nice Black Shadow in Denver, Colorado selling for $65,000 US and that was about 20 years ago. I haven't seen too much up-down since then.

kerry

VOC Member
December 2017 Shadow £119,100 in London auction, same one sold again last year approx £60,000 2021 2 Shadows c£51000 each. We will know more after the next 2 or 3 auctions but looks like Rapide's now around £30,000 and Shadows £48000 ?

Albervin

VOC Member
The Rapide in Mathewsons auction only reached £28000, Prices are falling for sure ?
Very suspect numbers and paperwork. Some would say fraudulent and fake. You need to look at good, honest machines to compare prices and also where and when the sales are taking place. I am brokering a sale of a Rapide that is a total bitsa BUT the engine is good. Looking at about the equivalent of £26-28,000. Last year I assisted in a sale of a very nice and original C Rapide for £37,000.