Rapide Oil Filter

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Good question - akin to "which is the best oil to use?!!":eek: Paper filters are said to provide a higher flow which would appear to be a good thing. How do they do that? - Well presumably by having larger holes and/or a greater surface area. But there is the lingering question in my mind as to the possibilty of rupture(?) - especially on a cold morning with thick pulsing oil and a sharp sliver of metal….

Felt filters have been used successfully as original equipment for well over half a century so can't be ruled out as unsatisfactory.

When asked which is the best oil to use, Phil Irving thought carefully, rubbed his chin, then said: "Yes, use oil". I suspect his reply would have been in the same vein had he been asked which filter to use. ;):D

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: Series 'A' Front Frame.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
Good question - akin to "which is the best oil to use?!!":eek: Paper filters are said to provide a higher flow which would appear to be a good thing. How do they do that? - Well presumably by having larger holes and/or a greater surface area. But there is the lingering question in my mind as to the possibilty of rupture(?) - especially on a cold morning with thick pulsing oil and a sharp sliver of metal….

Felt filters have been used successfully as original equipment for well over half a century so can't be ruled out as unsatisfactory.

When asked which is the best oil to use, Phil Irving thought carefully, rubbed his chin, then said: "Yes, use oil". I suspect his reply would have been in the same vein had he been asked which filter to use. ;):D

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: Series 'A' Front Frame.
PEI did not suffer fools gladly to the same question asked by another , he said 'well I don't recommend sand.

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
Thanks for the reply - can you please say why you consider paper to be the best option.

Felt filters were the best available in 1946, that’s why Vincents fitted them. Nearly 70yrs later I suspect that most car and motorcycle manufacturers’ put paper filters in their motors. Does anyone know of the felt type still being used?

Felt fibres tend to find their way all over a Vincent engine, in extreme cases combining with sludge and crap to make effective plugs in unwanted places.

Peter B shows concern about the possibility of paper rupture. Unlike most motors, Vincents pump oil through the filter from the outside, V3 filters feature a metal cage on both inside and outside the paper to accommodate this unusual flow direction.

Vince Farrell