A: Oil Pipework Rapide Oil Filter Chamber Cap/Nut - Sealant

nigsey

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Looking for advice please as to what I should use to seal the oil filter chamber cap/nut, or if sealant is needed at all. I’m in the process of changing the oil for the first time on my Rap and having removed the cap/nut it looks like some kind of sealant was used, presumably to stop it working loose or leaking. As usual, there are numerous sealants out there but possibly not all for this purpose. Many thanks.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The cap does not require much sealant if the two mating tapers are in good condition, I put a thin smear of Wellseal on the last few threads of the cap and the taper.

greg brillus

VOC Member
A tiny smear of non hardening sealant used on the small taper on the brass cap........none at all on the threads. Had a few of these where sealant was used on the threads, and this made removing the cap extremely difficult. You know.......if something like 518 or worse........"STAG" used on it........ Terrible.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Long ago, I worked at a hardware store. I was told back then that Teflon tape was used on water pipe simply to reduce friction, so that one could adequately tighten galvanized pipe with its tapered threads, that it was the wedge of the taper that provided the seal, not the Teflon.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I used to use Blue Hylomar, now I use Wellseal in the manner mentioned above, and have done so for the last 55 years, I have always found the cap remains oiltight and is undoable with consummate ease when required, but perhaps not always the case if other sealants are used.