Rapide Model Name

fgth130

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I never thought there'd be such interest in this thread . . . two comments however:

a) The entry in Wikipedia for de Havilland Rapide reads: "Originally designated the "Dragon Six" it was first marketed as "Dragon Rapide" although was later just called a "Rapide". With the fitting of improved trailing edge flaps from 1936, they were redesignated DH.89As."
Certainly 'Rapide' is what a friend of the family always called it, never "Dragon Rapide", and he flew one for a long time; so the museum is possibly correct.

b) my memory is not what it used to be! Meteor was indeed a Gloster name, not 'de H', however the prototypes were fitted with de Havilland Halford jet engines. This probably confused the brain cells.

Frank

Don McInnes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Somebody told me Avro made a twin engined monoplane called the Black Shadow with a 5" Smiths chronometric air speed indicator

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Aeroplane names and things

Many years ago Iron Horse magazine, or something like that, produced an article stating that loads of Picador engined drones were lost after being launched from Woomera, and that they were scattered all across the great Australian outback. It was later reported that more than a few Hells Angel types were seen setting off in search of these beasties. The fact is, that none were ever tested there. Oh what a shame ! Although, I believe that a few are resting on the bottom of the English channel.
Cheers, ET43

clevtrev

VOC Member
Many years ago Iron Horse magazine, or something like that, produced an article stating that loads of Picador engined drones were lost after being launched from Woomera, and that they were scattered all across the great Australian outback. It was later reported that more than a few Hells Angel types were seen setting off in search of these beasties. The fact is, that none were ever tested there. Oh what a shame ! Although, I believe that a few are resting on the bottom of the English channel.
Cheers, ET43
I think you would do better to search the Irish Sea.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Picador

Correct ET43 no picadors at Woomera but at WRE the headquaters of Woomera they did have a picador engine only a late VOC member landed up with the flywheels he worked there as did three more Voc members who are still with us

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
clevtrev

had a word with Doc Fuller this morning he has found the Vincent HRD brochure which had got in late 1948 when he bought his rapide (which he still has) and reads Rapide Black Shadow.

Last edited: