Rapide Insurance

Bill Cannon

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What was the problem Bill,
I have been with Carole for years and this year The price was lower !!.
Hi Bill,
I had been with them for 25 years, but year before last I didn't get a renewal advice so I ended up riding without insurance for a while without realising. I phoned them and they could find no record of my previous cover which I found very worrying and their new quote was a huge increase so tried Hagerty and they were much cheaper.
Cheers Bill

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes it's not really Carole anymore, They have changed a few times,
Just hope I don't have to Claim !!,
I had a traders insurance, When I was in Car repairs and you didn't claim unless it was bad,
I never did in 26 years, It would be too much more to pay !.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
It is VERY important to tell the insurance company EXACTLY what the bike is used for.In Australia we have a company called Shannons that is probably the make leader in classic cars, bikes and anything else that is used on the road. My Rapide is insured for $75,000 and the premium is less than $200. My Shadow is classified as "laid up" undergoing restoration and is insured for $130,000 with a premium of $340.00. So while the Rapide is insured for accident, fire and theft the Shadow is only insured for fire and theft. I usually say less than 8,000km (5,000 miles) per year for all of my vehicle (14 currently roadworthy). For $300,000 of value I pay $1,000 insurance. Most insurance companies use the same actuarial algorithm so if you are paying close to 1% for premiums you need to look further. So in Chris' case he should have nearly £1M insured value depending on usage. For anyone riding in a foreign country I suggest Hagerty is the only option.
Here is another lurk/lark by insurance companies. I have a house with "supposedly" six bedrooms. BUT we use two of those as offices/studies and a third as a games' room. The difference between insuring it as a six bedroom house Vs a three bedroom house was massive. All other details were the same except number of bedrooms!!! Do your research and save money.
How do you work out the £1M of cover, according to your figures (paying $1000 for $300,000) my paying £900 would get me £270.000, which is about right. and is 0.33%