Rapide Insurance

stu spalding

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Tim, my twin is my main wheels and before the virus I was doing around 6k a year and as far as I'm aware, most insurers draw the line at about 3k limited mileage. Cheers, Stu.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
RH Classic for me,
Found them easy to deal with & don't think the Premium was over the top for my three bikes, £337.30 for the Rapide, 1150GS BMW & laid up cover for a Suzuki GS1000.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
Well here in the US, Hagerty specifically states that there's no mileage limit. They do insist that you not use the insured bike for daily commuting to work etc. and as in the UK, they require that you have another vehicle for that purpose. But that vehicle could be a car, whatever that is.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks Tim, my twin is my main wheels and before the virus I was doing around 6k a year and as far as I'm aware, most insurers draw the line at about 3k limited mileage. Cheers, Stu.
Stu
I'm with Hagerty and you can set the yearly mileage limit on each bike seperately and I don't know about unlimited, but 6k is not an issue to them. Generally the lower you set the limit then the lower the premium.
Simon

stu spalding

VOC Member
Thanks Simon, I suppose I could put the MZ down as regular transport even though it never gets more than five miles from home. Cheers, Stu.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have just renewed my insurance with RH, just under £900, but that is for my Twin, Norvin, Brough Superior 11-50, Brough Superior SS100 replica and Norton Dominator, I consider that reasonable given that two of them (the Norvin and SS100 ) are obviously completely "non standard"and the value.

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
I hit a brick in the road and damaged the front rim. Hagerty paid for it to be rebuilt with no problems and no increase in renewal. Very easy to deal with.

vibrac

VOC Member
Haggerty
I added a bike two months before renewal they said it was a marginal cost and covered it for no increase until renewal.

Albervin

VOC Member
It is VERY important to tell the insurance company EXACTLY what the bike is used for.In Australia we have a company called Shannons that is probably the make leader in classic cars, bikes and anything else that is used on the road. My Rapide is insured for $75,000 and the premium is less than $200. My Shadow is classified as "laid up" undergoing restoration and is insured for $130,000 with a premium of $340.00. So while the Rapide is insured for accident, fire and theft the Shadow is only insured for fire and theft. I usually say less than 8,000km (5,000 miles) per year for all of my vehicle (14 currently roadworthy). For $300,000 of value I pay $1,000 insurance. Most insurance companies use the same actuarial algorithm so if you are paying close to 1% for premiums you need to look further. So in Chris' case he should have nearly £1M insured value depending on usage. For anyone riding in a foreign country I suggest Hagerty is the only option.
Here is another lurk/lark by insurance companies. I have a house with "supposedly" six bedrooms. BUT we use two of those as offices/studies and a third as a games' room. The difference between insuring it as a six bedroom house Vs a three bedroom house was massive. All other details were the same except number of bedrooms!!! Do your research and save money.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Bill, was that my previously owned R100R Classic, if so I hope you are pleased with your purchase, I would have kept it but Sue far preferred to be pillion passenger on the Rapide, same story with the Yamaha FJ1200 ABS with very low mileage, anyone out there fancy owning it?
HI Peter, yes of course it is your old bike.
I do enjoy it thanks.
I have had to do quite a bit to it however, which is not unusual with bikes that have been laid up a long time.
For my own benefit I removed the US spec emission exhaust gas recycling which improved the low speed running.
Unfortunately the starter motor failed which is not unusual either. The later Valeo starters have bonded in magnets which detach themselves. I found a Chinese replacement for £45 new and its been fine.
The fork seals went, again they get perished with lack of use. But also, probably due to me not cleaning road salt off last winter the fork legs were pitted so I had them plated and reground.
The latest thing was the exhaust centre box rotted out, again not unusual, so I replaced it with a stainless Y piece.
You can see it has kept me busy but I enjoy the work and the bike gets plenty of admirers.
Cheers Bill