Rapide front tyre advice

Chris S

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The tyre on the front of my C Rapide is nearing the end of it's life. Currently the bike has a 4.10 x 19 Dunlop TT100 Roadmaster on the rear that is almost new and a 3.00 x 21 Avon Speedmaster Mk2 on the front.
Any recommendations for a suitable replacement for the front tyre? The Avon appears to be an older style tyre than he Dunlop fitted to the rear, so would seem to make sense to try and fit something a bit newer in design to the front for a better match.
The bike gets used solo and pillion and when I am solo, I can get carried away and peddle on a bit. The front tyre looks a bit underwhelming by modern standards, but I do have to say that it performs ok.
Chris

davidd

VOC Member
Many racers, including Greg Brillus are using the AM26. The road tire seemed to be the preferred tire at Bonneville for its performance and V rating (149 mph). I think it has had several good reviews on this Forum.

David

b'knighted

VOC Member
On the Knight I use Avon Distanza or Gripster which look like enduro tyres but feel great. Marcus uses 21" Distanzas on several of his bikes.
I have recently built a pair of wheels on narrow hubs and shod them with a nice matching pair of AM26 Roadriders. The front is 90/90-21 AM26 54V while the rear is a 100/90-19 Avon Roadrider AM26 57V T/L Universal. these are available from http://www.wheelhousetyres.co.uk/ca...dex/?limit=all&q=avon+am26+90/90-21+roadrider

b'knighted

VOC Member
You asked while I was typing my response. The 21" racing AM26 cost about £160 against the one on the link above for £73. I have these fitted on my fresh wheels and they look beautiful but I've not ridden on them yet. I think that they will prove to be the ones with the sharp sticker inside which will give me early punctures.

Chris S

Non-VOC Member
I was leaning towards the Avon Roadrider, but looking at the tech spec on Avon website, the minimum rim width is 1.85" which is a WM2. My Rapide is fitted with a WM1 rim making it 1.60" wide. Has anyone run this combination?

greg brillus

VOC Member
Do not fit race tires as they will wear out too fast, you will be lucky to get 1000 miles out of them, and I'm pretty sure they are not legal anyway. The Avon AM 26 Profile come in road and race variants. I put a 100 x 90 x 19 on the rear of the racer, and when I was racing at Eastern creek, one of the tire agents told me that tire was the road version, as Avon don't make a race compound in that size, but I have not had any issues or slides with it at all. On the front I run a 90 x 90 x 19 WM 2 and WM 3 rear.

davidd

VOC Member
Do not fit race tires as they will wear out too fast, you will be lucky to get 1000 miles out of them, and I'm pretty sure they are not legal anyway. The Avon AM 26 Profile come in road and race variants. I put a 100 x 90 x 19 on the rear of the racer, and when I was racing at Eastern creek, one of the tire agents told me that tire was the road version, as Avon don't make a race compound in that size, but I have not had any issues or slides with it at all. On the front I run a 90 x 90 x 19 WM 2 and WM 3 rear.
Greg,

I was not too worried that a Vincent owner would want to pay extra for a racer tire to run on the street, but Avon does not make a rear 19" AM26. It makes a universal 19" that can be used on both front and rear. I suspect you have the true 100/90-19" AM26 Non DOT rear racing tire, which Avon makes with the 308 compound, which is a medium hardness. The front tire is made with the A49 compound, which is Avons' softest compound. The tire guy might be right if your rear tire turns out to be a universal.

Chris,

I think you can use a WM-2, but not a WM-1. Only my opinion, but I think Vincent at one point recommended a WM-1, but I think that was too narrow. I would change the rim if it were mine. Greg is not using the recommended rim on the front of his racer, but it is the recommended minimum rim width that he is using. The Avon is quite round and seems to do fine on the minimum width rims.

The recommended rim widths for the Speedmaster is 1.60-2.15 with a WM-2 (1.85)recommended. The entire line of AM26 has no min listed less than 1.85. I would go with the Speedmaster again with that rim.

David