PT: Exhaust Rapide Exhaust Pipes--how to avoid a nightmare install

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I know some have trouble fitting new exhausts but mine have been little trouble recently, and they came from Coventry Spares. I think the problems may come down to the oft repeated phrase that no two Vincents are alike and this is amplified by changes to standard compression and cylinder height and wear and distortion over the years. Probably the most helpful tip I have found is that the required flange you have to fabricate on the front pipe if the nut is supplied loose may not be exactly perpendicular to the curve of the pipe where it seats in the he head. I loose fit the pipes before making the flange with the muffler and fasteners in place and use tape or some method to approximate the angle of the flange. Then you can carefully make the flange, (not forgetting to put the nut on first). You can find home made jigs described for this process, but it can be done without them. There is enough material on new pipes to massage this fit to get it just right couple of times if the first attempt is off a bit. Don’t make the flange any bigger than necessary, get the angle right, and you will have no more problems fitting up the pipes in the future.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes its a fitting job a bit of a shock to newbies who are used to pipes snapping into place and precision jig bored positioning of engine and frame points that photo in June Classic bike (page62) of the fitters with crowbars and mallets wasn't completely false ;) .

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
Good point; once you do get them fitted properly, don't loosen the clamp at the Y joint, leave it alone.
I never loosen that joint. My pipes came from Coventry spares and only some slight bending was needed to make them fit perfectly. My bike is made from bits from all over the world. I guess I was lucky.

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
Yes its a fitting job a bit of a shock to newbies who are used to pipes snapping into place and precision jig bored positioning of engine and frame points that photo in June Classic bike (page62) of the fitters with crowbars and mallets wasn't completely false ;) .
My mothballed Vincent has a Armour exhaust system and is different every time you take it off and on nothing seems to fit and only the use of a lump of wood seems to work put it on and off and some cursing and lots of cups of tea to chill.