PT: Exhaust Rapide Exhaust Pipes--how to avoid a nightmare install

Mark Stephenson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Folks

I have 3 piece pipes. I want to bring my 1949 build Rapid B back to stock. Where do I buy the most original pipes? Any one have installation advice (order of operations)? I did see a post on mounting pipes but was not specific enough for me...a novice.

Warm Regards,

Mark

Albervin

VOC Member
I start by loosely fitting the rear pipe. The problem of obtaining a good fit will cause bad words to be said. Sometimes you need two exhaust gaskets for each port. Easier if you can rope in a second pair of hands.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Folks

I have 3 piece pipes. I want to bring my 1949 build Rapid B back to stock. Where do I buy the most original pipes? Any one have installation advice (order of operations)? I did see a post on mounting pipes but was not specific enough for me...a novice.

Warm Regards,

Mark

I see you're in the states. Until recently I was living in North America and found John Healy always helpful and well stocked. Give coventry spares a call and see what he has.

Good luck.

Gene.

Mark Stephenson

Non-VOC Member
Thanks so much. Any suggestion on best source to buy from for authenticity/fit? Also are you suggesting to multiples of which washer? See below two versions...which one or both?
XHAUST PORT WASHER
GBP 0.74
(Rec. price: GBP 0.83)

Add to shopping basket
Availability: In stock
EXH. PORT WASHER CPR/NONASB.

PT5/1
GBP 2.15
(Rec. price

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Thanks so much. Any suggestion on best source to buy from for authenticity/fit? Also are you suggesting to multiples of which washer? See below two versions...which one or both?
XHAUST PORT WASHERGBP 0.74
(Rec. price: GBP 0.83)

Add to shopping basket
Availability: In stock

PT5/1
EXH. PORT WASHER CPR/NONASB.GBP 2.15
(Rec. price

John either buys from the clubs spares or the same suppliers so the authenticity / fit is not a problem.

I cant speak for multiple washers as my bikes only have a single washer.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I believe that the VOCSC sells pipes made on the original factory machine. Maybe Ian can confirm. Armours might not, but several on the Forum have had good luck with them. Like Albervin says fit them up loosely and be gentle with screwing the exhaust nuts in to the heads, wiggle the pipes to allow the nuts to freely screw in. Maybe even practice with the rear pipe on both heads to get a feel for it. Use neverseize.

MarBl

VOC Member
Last month I installed PT1AS and a PT2ASSB from VOC spares and they fitted very well on my Rapide with no correction necessary.
Also the quality was evidently better compared to the ones installed before.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Have not used exhaust gaskets in many years, a good quality HT silicon has been found to be quite adequate. Prior to that, I liked the copper/asbestos joints, with good fitting silencer (no clamp) RTV again and my brass silencers are heavier than most but the brackets are sturdy. recently the pipes have been off quite often and never slacken the rear pipe from the front as refitted completely. with a drilling 3/16" whit tapped into the head and an Alan screw secured through the nut fins. This idea came about in 1996 after leaving Conway's with a borrowed DMD dustbin faring to try out, having to fit front engine plates as the faring securing point. Return to Cornwall was noisy and ruination of a nice pair of gloves tying to tighten up exhaust nuts in dirty wet weather as didn't want to stop. Re-fitted faring to sons "D" Rap removed "B"heads

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Returning to Conway's Robin Jefferies fitted inserts, so simple when one has a good size Mill and Lathe.
cocked up with posting
The final result was good and the faring was so good that my mate Terry Hobbs (house of Hobbs) had a plug made and four DND farings made two black with scoops two white without scoops as Phil Primmer said they were in the location as was gong to get them from Phil Seat arches but he died on us all.