F: Frame Rapide "engine out" frame fixture = rolling chassis

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am looking for an engine out frame fixture.
Sid Biberman was fabbing these at one time and i passed on purchase.
Cant find one at Harbor Freight.
Any one got a fixture for sale or short term loan?
Thank you
Craig

SidBFrameToolL1.jpg

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Makes me think of this:

LLB8006-050-02_Hobby-Horse.jpg

Seriously, maybe a Seeley-pattern one made out of 3/4" soldered copper pipe, like this?

Attachments

• Chassis Jig.jpeg
    Chassis Jig.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 41

craig

VOC Member
Same thought, maybe something I could fab.......or not

VincentFrameFixture2.jpg
VincentFrameFixture3.jpg

Steel square tubing?
Plywood + 2x4 + steel strap at RFM
VincentFrameFixture4.jpg

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
would not two straps with a hole each end be enough? i mean its only going to be pushed to a storage position nothing except the bike weight is going to overcome the spring units... pin structures and all that

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I made mine out of an old table.
I liked the 4 legs it kept it stood up and over hanging the bench when I built the forks.

Attachments

• 003 (4).JPG
    003 (4).JPG
    434.9 KB · Views: 34

craig

VOC Member
I see some benefits with a wood structure design,
maybe add foot peg thru hole especially for left brake assmembly.
Add exhaust storage, zip tie to eyelets
Add box for small pieces.

VincentFrameFixture6.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
Biggest PIA is when I want to work on the vins engine I have to take my bump stop off the end of the lifting table and instead of just running the bike on by myself along the platform and bump the front wheel in, I have to use up my brownie points and call out "Angie can you give me a hand?".
Of course if its front wheel work its difficult anyway whatever the bike.
Best way was my last total vin rebuild I had two rectangular tubes in a U form on their sides. Bottom side bolted to the table. Top side bolted to the crankcase bottom holes (Comet). then just hung the lot off that varing height as I worked.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Maybe two cables shown in red as tension members. Just don't hit anything too hard with the front wheel while wheeling it around the yard! I'd also keep the tank on the shelf.

Frame Jig.png

b'knighted

VOC Member
Using the engine mount position means that you cannot fit the fixture to a complete bike. The one I made as part of a college project about thirty years ago braced from the front top sidecar fitting to plain pegs in the unused threaded lugs on the RFM rear forging. I remember using thin wall rectangular box section, approximately 2”x1” with round tube spacers either side on the stud through the sidecar fitting. A single tube spacer held these box sections apart under the spring boxes and I seem to recall some uprights, probably from the long stud to carry the rear top sidecar lug. I built it for a Comet but to be universal I believe that multiple front holes and at the bottom of the upright struts May be needed. I think the rear pegs were 1/2” bar threaded one end for nuts either side of the box section.

b'knighted

VOC Member
The blue line show the basic positions of my box sections but remind me that the back of the spring boxes may need some support. It may be simpler to hang a stud across under the front of the RFM.
Drawing on a touch screen is harder than I expected.

Attachments

• 0BFB2284-436D-488A-B4E7-C131D2BB006B.png
    0BFB2284-436D-488A-B4E7-C131D2BB006B.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 28