Rapide dynamo sprocket question

youngjohn

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My Rapide has a felt seal positioned in-between the crankcase and the oil slinger behind the dynamo pulley. It's about 75mm diameter and square section. It's quite loose, just held in by the casting flange where the dynamo shaft comes through to the primary case and the slinger. I understand that this isn't a standard part, but has anyone come across this before? I can't decide whether it's a good idea or not - on the one hand it may help to keep oil in the case, on the other, it may soak up oil and then dribble it out.

John Cone

VOC Member
Some may frown upon it, but i use a silicon jointing between the dynamo end plate and the crankcase. This allows you time to put in position, fit the sprocket and adjust the backlash between the sprocket and the center run of the primary chain. Making sure the sprocket is running in the middle of the links. Then leave to set.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I use a ring of 1/4" thick closed cell foam with adhesive on one side that I stick on my Alton end face to seal against the drive housing. I've sent squares to people who want to try it, so let me know on that.

Howard

VOC Member
Some may frown upon it, but i use a silicon jointing between the dynamo end plate and the crankcase. This allows you time to put in position, fit the sprocket and adjust the backlash between the sprocket and the center run of the primary chain. Making sure the sprocket is running in the middle of the links. Then leave to set.

Silicon sealant? You bodger! Have you tried the black stuff? It doesn't show up against black cases.

H