• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

For Sale Rapide/Comet WXG301

John Smith-Daye

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member

And here's the bad - this is quite obviously not a Rapide, although it is registered as such at DVLA!

Does the vendor think we are all stupid?

peter holmes

VOC Member
I do not find the Rapide/Comet advert to be disingenuous or misleading, I think that I am right in saying that DVLA always regard the frame as the major component of a motorcycle, so if the frame members left the factory as a Rapide, but now has a Comet engine fitted to the frames, then it is a Vincent Rapide fitted with a 500cc Comet engine, which is exactly what the advert states, if the original 1000cc engine were to turn up it could be reinstalled and it would be a genuine matching numbers Rapide, not a Comet with a Rapide engine fitted to it.

vin998

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes the DVLA take the body / chassis as the identifying item and ignore the engine. So as far as the DVLA are concerned a Rapide framed bike is a Rapide even after an engine change as they will not change the model name under any circumstances.
In saying that we all know Vincent owners go by the engine so make your own mind up what it is and what it's worth.

You could have an e-type Jag and fit a Lada engine and as far as the DVLA are concerned it's still an e-type Jag.

vibrac

VOC Member
Of course according to the letter of the law it now needs an MOT
Section r back of v112 application for mot exemption

ClassicBiker

VOC Member

And here's the bad - this is quite obviously not a Rapide, although it is registered as such at DVLA!

Does the vendor think we are all stupid?
I don't think he thinks we are stupid. I have to believe he is hoping to catch the uniformed off guard, but at the same time not be labeled as untruthful. Hence he tells you it is a Rapide by frame number with a Comet engine and only needs a Rapide engine to return it to being true Rapide.
Steven

Graham Smith

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The seller states "It was brought back to the UK in 2015 by Vincent Motorcyles Ltd when Greece had a financial crash and the devastated owner ran into financial difficulties and had to sell his collection of Vincents which were his price and joy"

It would be interesting to know if this bike has ever been anywhere near Greece or actually out of the country, as I wonder if this is a line that Vincent Motorcycles Ltd use when selling a bike to give it some form of authenticity.

vin998

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes this bike was owned by a VOC member in Greece for a few years in exactly the configuration it is in now. Since then it appears to have passed through several owners.

greg brillus

VOC Member
From what I heard this particular bike started life as a series "A" Meteor, for a short while in 1950 for about four months it was a Black Lightning, and thereafter became a humble Rapide..........At least with it's current engine it is trying to return to its "Roots"............. :cool:

vibrac

VOC Member
Nevertheless the v5 documentation is a mess its ability to be considered for historic status is doubtful and if it doesn't have notation about its manufactured date rather than its registration date that will have to be sorted or it's compulsory MOT will be for a 4 year old bike on the other hand if the new owner buys it and when he sells it the next one keeps quiet....... Oh and if it's come from Greece there is the NOVA regulations.
Put it this way it's not a mule I would ride

peter holmes

VOC Member
Well I certainly would ride it, it looks like quite a nice Comet to me, oops sorry, Rapide with Comet engine installed, as I said previously, I do not find the Ebay advert in the least bit misleading, quite honestly anyone that purchases that bike thinking they are getting a 998cc Vincent should not be let out without their parents, preferably whilst on reins, if anyone remembers what they are. Tim is correct, the V5 will need sorting out, but even if you don't get the no MOT status, does it really matter, it is only the cost of a tank full of fuel and an hour or so out of your life, and its an excuse for an extra ride out to the MOT station and a chat whilst the tester looks at the balance beam or the twin choke levers and asks what are there for. The asking price is of course excessive and almost certainly will not sell at that price, especially as its a bitsa, even though we are constantly told matching numbers are of no importance.

vin998

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Nevertheless the v5 documentation is a mess its ability to be considered for historic status is doubtful and if it doesn't have notation about its manufactured date rather than its registration date that will have to be sorted or it's compulsory MOT will be for a 4 year old bike on the other hand if the new owner buys it and when he sells it the next one keeps quiet....... Oh and if it's come from Greece there is the NOVA regulations.
Put it this way it's not a mule I would ride
Tim
The V5C is a bit of a mess but not for the reasons you point out. The The regisration date will be the date that the DVLA added the bike to their system and so converted the Greek reg documents into a V5C and they will not change that date. The DVLA registration date has no bearing on the historic status or MOT status of the bike and those are based on the manufacture date and if you do an online DVLA vehicle check for the reg it comes up as year of manufacture 1952. With this bike previously holding a registration from another EU country then the DVLA would have taken the manufacture date from the Greek documents and so no VOC dating certificate required.

The bit that is wrong on the V5C is the engine size and maybe the engine number as well but I don't know what engine number the DVLA have listed. These should really be changed by the current owner though before selling the bike and can be easily done.

As for MOT exemption, motorcycles are exempt from most of the clauses in the new regulations and so its not a problem with the different number of cylinders etc. As the UFM on a Comet and Rapide is exactly the same construction then this bike would still qualify as MOT exempt if the owner decides to declare as such.

I'm not trying to defend the bike, just trying to seperate myth from fact when it comes to DVLA, MOT etc.

Simon