Raised oilways

Goffy998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
At which engine number did the raised oilways on the twin timing cover disappear? I was asked pointedly if I had the right cover - yes, I said. But I don't know for sure. I'm sure that it is written somewhere.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
At which engine number did the raised oilways on the twin timing cover disappear? I was asked pointedly if I had the right cover - yes, I said. But I don't know for sure. I'm sure that it is written somewhere.

You can't really ask that. In many cases, there is overlap, where the first use of a new redesigned part is likely followed some time later by the last use of the earlier design.

If the mating number stamped inside your cover matches the mating number of your crankcases, then you have the correct cover. That is just about the only true test. It doesn't matter what the engine before or after yours has or had.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
my friend here has had his bike from new, a round this time the stopped stamping numbers in the covers

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
my friend here has had his bike from new, a round this time the stopped stamping numbers in the covers

Huh? They stopped stamping the mating number inside the covers??? I have the Shadow my father bought new, almost 9000 numbers higher than the range mentioned here, and its timing and primary covers are stamped. Maybe other covers were stamped early on and not later, like the ATD and generator drive, but the timing cover was stamped throughout, and the primary too, weren't they?

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
I think you will find Black Shadows and lightnings were as they went through paint shop and then matched up on assembly

Dinny

VOC Member
I have an early 49 'B' 17xx and all the covers are stamped inside including the ATD and Dyno covers. The clutch dome may have been as well but at some point the screws have ground part of the cover away so had to tell on that. On my 51 Shadow 73xx i'm not sure about the ATD and clutch dome but the Dyno cover is so I guess the others are. Will find out one day when it comes apart I guess.

Cheers

Mark

vibrac

VOC Member
who knows when the timing covers altered? its about the same as when did the word VINCENT appear on the cover? there was a period when they dropped the HRD and before the VINCENT batch came in when plain covers were used. very useful when we were sorting the racing comet out for VMCC racing when the VOC stopped their race meetings. (yes newcomers once we could fill a race paddock with Vincents, now we mostly fill museums) we only got in the pre 48 by the skin of our teeth because the first comet was shown on the autumn 1948 earls court show stand and someone (bless them) had taken a picture with a caption, so to have a cover with VINCENT on or HRD would have added to the controversy so that's one plain cover that started out VINCENT