H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Radial-Bias Belted

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I need a new rear tyre to replace the Avon Roadrider, the front still has life left in it. I was looking at the very limited range of 19inch rear tyres and came across the Conti Classic Attack, which is a radial tyre, I think the general consensus is that it is not advisable to mix radial and bias, but is it actually a proven dangerous thing to do? I guess the sensible thing is to not take the chance, maybe wait to change front and rear at the same time, but I would appreciate an expert opinion.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I have subsequently spoken to an advisor at Cambrian Tyres, I am told that it is safe and legal to have a radial tyre on the rear, paired with any type of tyre that you choose for the front, but that is not the case the other way round, apparently the radial rear tyre will make the front tyre work harder, not really sure what I extrapolate from that, but legal and safe is important to me.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
How does the inner tube fare when inside a radial tyre? Will the additional tyre wall 'flex' cause any issue?

I have no idea but it may be wise to explore.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I have put this idea to bed Martyn and stuck with Avon Roadrider, the tyre should arrive today and the bike be ready for the relaxation of our Covid-19 restrictions. I for one can't wait.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Nothing like fresh rubber to start off with for a season of gadding about trying to make up for lost time. I'm tolling about new rubber on OPC (Old peoples Club) as the tires still look good but not used for a few years, whats the age limit ?
bananaman