Racing Vincent Display - Brighton Speed Trials 7/9/19

champion

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The Kent & Sussex Section of the VOC have been given permission to display a range of Racing Vincent Motorcycles at Brighton Speed Trials in September.

I would therefore like to talk to anyone with a Vincent racer / sprinter / special who is interested in displaying or competing at the event ASAP, along with anyone in the VOC who has access to a club gazebo.

This is obviously a very short time frame, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Alex champion.
Kent & Sussex

champion

VOC Member
Morning Vibrac!

There are two or three Vincent’s which race at Brighton every year and I am going to actively encourage anyone who is displaying their bike to also compete.

The reality is that some owners have retired from racing (eg Brian Chapman) and other bikes may not be eligible due to noise / regulation constraints.

It would be great to get as many onto the start line as possible.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
I'm tempted to bring my Egli along.
Do you need a current ACU licence or is a day licence available?

Bill

champion

VOC Member
Hi Bill,

You can get an ACU day license and VMCC day club membership at the event.

If you have not been to the speed trials before, i would recommend google / YouTube as it is one of the oldest and most prestigious sprint events in the world, with a strong history of Vincent record holders, including Satan and Nero.

Of the 75 bike entries allowed each year there are only 11 spaces left for competitors, so don’t spent too long on YouTube!

vibrac

VOC Member
I'm tempted to bring my Egli along.
Do you need a current ACU licence or is a day licence available?

Bill
Actually if I had some spare money I would love to take on the ACU in court under the age discrimination act. It seems that over 70 you need a medical certificate, let me emphasise I have NO objection to that, however than the ACU say that over 70's need to buy a full licence rather than a day licence because they cant think of a way of verifying the existence of that certificate, this means that if you want to do only a couple of sprints in a year an over 70 would have to fork out for a full licence rather than a day licence all because of the ACU inefficency. That is definitly a act of discrimination.

champion

VOC Member
I was not aware of this (I’m only 30) and will ask for clarification from the Clark of the course. Several members of the VMCC sprint section are in their 70s and the section only run two events per year making a full
Membership expensive!

If everyone who competes is 69 years old, then there is no problem.... You are only as old as you feel!

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Hi Bill,

You can get an ACU day license and VMCC day club membership at the event.

If you have not been to the speed trials before, i would recommend google / YouTube as it is one of the oldest and most prestigious sprint events in the world, with a strong history of Vincent record holders, including Satan and Nero.

Of the 75 bike entries allowed each year there are only 11 spaces left for competitors, so don’t spent too long on YouTube!
I've just mentioned it to the wife as a nice day out, which she agreed with but unfortunately told me we will be in Barbados that weekend!

Sorry we can't make it. Bill

champion

VOC Member
Just to give a brief update, we have the following so far:

I have got small gazebo to provide shelter for bikes / owners if needed.

Brian Chapman has offered to attend with Mighty Mouse and Super Mouse.
Derek Chinn has offered to attend with Pegasus has said he maybe interested in competing.
John Renwick has offered to display Epimethius
Tony King has offered to attend with a Vincent Series A TT Replica
Dick Wheeldon is about to confirm if he can bring the Section Comet Sprinter and possibly a Grey Flash replica.
Roy Robertson said he will be there with his Egli Vincent anyway.
The VMCC are working to provide Methamon and will confirm this week.
Dick Craven unfortunately can not attend. (Not surprising given the distance and short notice!)
Nero / Super Nero can not currently attend, but I am about to talk to the owner of the National Motorcycle Museum directly.

I have also been offered a few standard road Vincents to display but am struggling to accept their offers, due to the very limited space in the paddock. I will do what I can to get the best VOC turn out possible.

I am also talking to the VMCC about getting a paragraph and photo added to the Official Event Program explaining the display.

VOC HELP REQUIRED:

I am looking for a couple of large Vincent logos, posters or banners to attach to the Gazebo for the display.
Is anyone able to help with this?

Regards,

Alex Champion